Business Idea

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Squilly, Dec 10, 2012.

1. macrumors 68020

Squilly

I've come up with a lot of these recently, although I like to get community opinions before heavily devoting myself to it. I'll start it out simply: home phones. They don't exist as often as they used to. Compare them to cell phones. Distinct difference: one has CID, one doesn't. That's where my idea comes in. I was thinking about gathering phone numbers, giving them names, and you'd know exactly who's calling you based on the information pushed from the database. Example: you get a call from 1-800-275-2273. CID would say "AppleCare" instead of just location (if you're using an iPhone). Not sure if it would be an app or what, but would like to hear what you guys think. Opinions?

2. macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

It could be good, but how would you gather the phone numbers- there are gazillions of them. Even with a good effort and help, I don't know that you could collect enough to make it a useable feature.

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Teaming up with White Pages, Yellow Pages, and consumers willing to add their number manually to the database.

4. macrumors 604

5. macrumors 68020

sviato

Do you mean caller ID? I have that on my home phone and cell phone...

6. macrumors 6502

I already have this on my home phone. When it rings, the display shows the name and number of who's calling. It is an extra charge from the phone company, but I suspect almost everyone who has a home phone already has this, or at least has the option of activating it.

7. macrumors 603

Caller ID..... Keep thinking. This is fun.

If you want business ideas, look at the demographics. Right now millions of us baby boomers are retiring. We are starting hobbies, to fill in the time. But we may not have the dexterity or mobility that we need. Hang out with some 'old farts' and get their take on what they need. Trust me, they will have opinions. This s growing field, lots of opportunities.

8. thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Yeah... But implicating it on cell phones. I'd probably just get bought out by Apple or Google like any other big company.

9. macrumors 68020

heehee

Keep dreaming. It already shows who its from when you call from a land line to cell phones except for the odd number.

10. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Like others I have CID on my cell, and it tends to work better than it does on my land line so I'm really not sure what it is that you think you've got, besides a database of numbers.

There are already plenty of those too: e.g. http://whocallsme.com/ http://whocallsme.com/ ... I use these all the time to look up the 1-800 numbers that call my land line.

B

11. thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

This is more of a convenience than anything else, not having to use those sites ^

12. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sorry that I wasn't clear. This was about the database. They already exist. There are even apps that tie into those databases already, including this one from whitepages.com https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reverse-phone-lookup/id430478223?mt=8

B

13. thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

That's similar to my idea, but mine would be a one-time fee or subscription. Not only that, but you'd know exactly who they are when they call (or text) you.

14. macrumors 603

My phones already do that, and I'm not paying an extra fee. I think you'll find that this is not a new idea.