Business Idea...

Discussion in 'Community' started by kevin49093, Nov 3, 2003.

1. kevin49093 macrumors regular

Watch... I'll see someone market this and make a ton of money... Oh well!

I was skiing last winter here in Colorado with a friend. Beautiful weather. Almost 65-70 degrees at the bottom of the hill! Well, at the top of the mountial, with a grand view, there was a professional photographer who would take your pictures and develop them for you that day. At the end of the day, you had to go down to the lodge, find the booth/store, and pick out the pictures you wanted to buy.

I thought that seemed like a lot of work for both the skiiers and the photographer.

What about a digital option? For a much smaller price, one could take digital pics, offer instant review, and post them on a website so that the skiiers could then download them when they return home. Does this seem like something that more people would jump at? I know that I would be alot more willing to dish out $5 and have everyone download a copy rather than $20 for one print!

I tought this would be a very easy way to make cash at almost any special event...

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Digital is the way to go here - and you could take more shots and not worry about the processing.

Given the quality of good digital SLRs these days, its just a matter of time.

The one limiting factor would be the temp - if it gets to cold things might not work too well....

D

3. kevin49093 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply...

I thought it would be far less cost, day to day. With links to good digital photo processing sites, they could easily get their own prints as well.

Does cold effect anything except battery life? I was thinking a simple camera holder with a hand warmer would do the trick.

I think if I had the time/initiative/money, I would give this a try...

4. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

...but you want the people to buy the pictures while they are still in the resort (and in the mood). Potential buyers are probably less picky if they actually have to walk into the store after a good day of skiing just to check out how the picture came out, rather than doing it from their computer at home. You probably lost half your customers once they are back to their day to day routine.

But maybe you could take the picture, show it on a laptop and then burn it to one of those credit-card sized CD's ? Or people could pick up a print in the evening if they prefer paper...or just have people pay upfront for 'web delivery'. Maybe I am just over-complicating things ;)

5. kevin49093 thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking they would pay on the spot. Just a simple cash only thing. They could then get a personalized webaddress to visit and download from while at home.

6. sketchy macrumors regular

Fork out for a dye-sub printer (a small one) one that printe 4X6 and 3X5

shoot the pictures, review, then print right there. They make some that are memory card reading, so you would not need a computer. and it prints in continuous tone, so it is photo qualit

7. kevin49093 thread starter macrumors regular

I thought of that, but I wouldn't want to carry around a picture all day that I just paid a couple bucks for. I would be worried about runing it. I also thought that a web only delivery would really cut down on the overhead.

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i think you have an excellent idea

a 4 or 5 megapixel camera should do

but as time goes on, digital cameras will become far sharper and affordable at the same time, too