Busted External HD WON'T FORMAT, HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dabisu, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Dabisu macrumors member

I bought an external HD enclosure and I put one of my old hard drives in there and it worked fine, except when I went to format it, the process was interrupted. Now I can't access the drive, although when I go to Disk Utility, it is listed there but whenever I start to format it the Disk Utility doesn't respond and it just sits there with a busy icon.

Is there anything I can do to format it so I can use it?

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

3. ddekker macrumors regular

hard drive

I recently went through this helping my bos out, he used a external USB drive for backup... it quit allowing him to back up... (It would just stall) so we thought we would just reformat.. ran into exactlywhat you did... since we have windows machines here at the office too; we formated it via a windows machine (as NTFS) then the apple could see it.. then we formatted back to Apple and its been working fine since.. I think it just lost its mind (we still don't trust the drive)

D

4. Dabisu thread starter macrumors member

I tried to format it on a Windows machine, however it won't show up as a drive in the Windows machine, at least when I go to My Computer it's not there. I checked the Device Manager and it's located there, so it recognizes it but I can't access it. If there is a program or something I can use to format it that would be good, any recommendations?

5. seanf macrumors 6502

Go to Start > Run and type compmgmt.msc and hit OK. In the Window that comes up click Disk Management on the left-hand side and you should see the disk there. You should be able to format/partition it by right clicking on it.

Sean :)

6. bthom70 macrumors member

Did you check the jumper? is it set for Master, Slave or cable select??
    It could be the culprit

7. luv2spin macrumors newbie

Go to Start > Run and type compmgmt.msc and hit OK. In the Window that comes up click Disk Management on the left-hand side and you should see the disk there. You should be able to format/partition it by right clicking on it.

Sean......

thank you this saved my hard drive