Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmanmatty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
(x,y)
Hello I have powermac problem and wondered If you mac savy people could have any advice or suggestions. I just got my powermac dual 2.7 today, (Yes I know it was in my sig and I didn't actually have it :rolleyes: ) and when I took it out I noticed that the case is bent. :mad: :( I bought from a person on ebay who shipped it via fedex. The case is bent really bad and the computer was packed really well. It was insured for $2500. Do you think there's anyway fedex will admit that this is there fault? If they do admit to fault how much do you think they will give back? Could other parts of the computer be internally damaged I don't know it? Should I even bother keeping this thing? or just send it back and get my money? Fedex is coming out monday to take it away and inspect it to see the damage. Should I worry about this? Could they take it apart and not put it back together properly? Could they keep parts and claim they never existed? Any adivce would be greatly apprecated.

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Tricky one matey,

I know that it is ridiculously hard to make a claim against a courier, especially if it was well packaged. There would just be no evidence that the damaged was caused by them. It's still worth pursuing though.

Also have you considered that the seller might have pulled a bit of a scam on you? You should check through eBays policies and see what might apply if it is.

Either way, I think if it were me i'd be thoroughly checking all T&C's at eBay, Fedex and whatever you used to make the payment so that you know all the facts and options open to you.

Good luck and keep us up to date on what happens!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
A handle is no big deal.

If the door top, bottom, front, or back it might not be a big problem -- as long as no electrical bits are tweaked.

A big dent on the logic board side could be a problem.

---

Fedex won't do much if it wasn't in a damaged box, and they really like to see original packaging -- otherwise they will blame the packing method.

macmanmatty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
(x,y)
Sun Baked said:
A handle is no big deal.

If the door top, bottom, front, or back it might not be a big problem -- as long as no electrical bits are tweaked.

A big dent on the logic board side could be a problem.

---

Fedex won't do much if it wasn't in a damaged box, and they really like to see original packaging -- otherwise they will blame the packing method.

Both of the bottom support Handles were dented and some of the area around the bottom of the side panel. This wouldn't worry me exept the dented handles rock the machine and the machine is liquid cooled and this could cause problems in the future. Nothing else seems damaged and the packing when I got looked fine and the computer was VERY well packed.

TMA said:
Either way, I think if it were me i'd be thoroughly checking all T&C's at eBay, Fedex and whatever you used to make the payment so that you know all the facts and options open to you.

Sadly because of the sellers not having a premier paypal account I have no protection from them. Ebay after one VERY long process can give up to $175 and mabye kick the seller off of ebay. Fedex looks like my best bet and I have filed a claim for the cost of the case repairs, plus the cost of apple care and extra cash in case somthing else goes wrong. We Shall see What I get.

iGARY said:
Return it..

I'd love to but I got a REALLY good price on this machine and nothing other than the casing seems damaged yet. Even with the cost of repairs it still is much that than the apple store.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
macmanmatty said:
Looks Like I may get $2500 and get to keep the pmac :)

Wow...freebie. Awesome. But I still wonder how it got dented...those things don't dent/bend easily. They are like freakin' tanks.

macmanmatty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
(x,y)
joecool85 said:
Wow...freebie. Awesome. But I still wonder how it got dented...those things don't dent/bend easily. They are like freakin' tanks.

It was probably taken out of the package and dropped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.