"But first, a number. ...You know, a musical number."

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Remember the scene from M*A*S*H where the crazy general asks a black soldier to testify in a court martial, but prefaces it with:

"But first, a number. You know, a musical number."

The soldier and the others in the room just look at each other.

"Well you've got it in your blood, boy. Just let it out."

And the crazy general then begins to shuffle and sing some old plantation song, while the stunned others in the room go in search of a large butterfly net.

Darned if life doesn't imitate art!:

ABC News

Just too, too bizarre!

2. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Good thread title:
    One of our favorite espisodes: (We have A-Z episodes on VHS)
    Mississippi Mud:

When the sun goes down, the tide goes out,
    The people gather 'round and they all begin to shout,
    "Hey! Hey! Uncle Dud,
    It's a treat to beat your feet on the Mississippi Mud.
    It's a treat to beat your feet on the Mississippi Mud".

3. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Ah, yes. Great episode. If I recall, Harry Morgan guest starred as that racist general, only to be later hired full time as Col. Sherman Potter. Continuity errors? Nah. Just ask Armen Tanzarian.

Anyhoo, good find on the article.

4. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Dude, get the DVDs! I saw a box collection at Target, covered in canvas, with all 11 seasons for $189. Individual seasons go for $29-39, so it's a bargain.

And thanks for the compliment on the thread title. :)

5. badmofo9000 macrumors regular

I really don't see why people got upset about this. They performed a rap for a tv show and got out of their ticket. Was anything racial said or done. Or are people assuming that the only reason he asked them to perform was due to their race. Was the NAACP or whoever was "outraged" implying that white people can not rap??? Man that strikes of racism in itself.

As for the Mash reference. If you want to see a racist episode watch the one with the black football player nicknamed, "Spear Chucker Jones". I remember watching that in the break room where I work and was shocked that they replay that episode... I thought the "PC" police would be all over that one.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Spearchucker Jones was a regular cast member in the first season. He was portrayed as a competent and well-liked doctor. He was called "Spearchucker" because of his ability as a college football player before he was drafted with a pass so hard and accurate it was like trying to catch a spear. It had nothing to do with his race.

What about Ugly the Australian Anaesthetist? He was just a big bag of stereotype with a slouch hat on his head.

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Right.... nothing to do with his race.

The incident above doesn't sound too horrific though, and sounds pretty good natured. I'd agree that the NCAAP has a point that it's potentially problematic to show this in a positive light. The idea of a white officer demanding to be entertained by two black men, and on that basis arbitrarilly deciding whether or not to exercise his power to fine them is really really problematic. Three people trying to make the interaction between the law and citizens friendly, fun, and at the same time serious (you shouldn't litter) seems like a good idea. As always though, it's a fine line.

8. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Even though it was done jokingly and received amiably, it was still being done in front of the cameras, and other people might've been offended by it. Just not appropriate.

Spearchucker was actually a semi-regular, and he disappeared when the producers found out that there actually were no black surgeons in Korea. So when they whittled down the cast (several other characters were cut), Spearchucker went. Shame, because I liked him.

I do think the nickname was meant to have an ironic racial overtone. The movie and series were, after all, famous for irreverent humor. But yes, Spearchucker was a QB with a rocket arm, and that's the main reason for the nickname.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Would have been funnier if they were white suburbanite kids wearing baggy jeans and trying to act like they were from the streets. I don't think they meant any harm, probably an effort to appeal to them instead of being jerks and busting them or fining them. Or beating them, like the cops in that other thread(s). But I can totally see where some may get a little offended. I'm sure this will all blow over after a heartfelt apology, and I hope they don't push it, because it's bound to get people on both sides riled up if pressed.

10. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I'd say if everyone involved thought it was nothing more than harmless fun, then there's no problem. If the guys who did the rap thing felt insulted by the request, or if the cop was trying to humiliate the two guys, then there is.

but let me repeat:
    if everyone involved thought it was nothing more than harmless fun, then there's no problem

I'd like to hear what the cop and the two guys have to say about it. If they all say it's much ado about nothing then that, in my mind, is that.