But I didn't send this email!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by stubeeef, Jan 31, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I just started getting msgs like this, about emails I have not sent. I am highjacked or something? WTF over!

Attached Files:

• ???.jpg
      ???.jpg
      File size:
      82.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Bear macrumors G3

Some spammers send email using a random return address selected from there list oof addresses to spam. The odds are you aren't hacked. (Unless you're running windows *chuckle*)

3. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

4. photoman macrumors newbie

Maybe?

The most likely response would be to change your password if you have'nt already. If that does'nt solve it there are numerous programs that can mimic skillfully a E-mail message like CAEM. But even to the underground community is respected. and hence unless you have some enemies your really don't like you i doubt this possibility. And judgeing by your the e-mail address it looks like spam... Any chance a spammer could have gotten ahold of your password? :confused:

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, most likely it is your service provider being hacked / exploited, and not you. Just like all those Outlook Exchange Server attacks from a couple of years ago.... :(

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is fairly common. A Windows virus, trojan, or whatever, read your email address in the address book of a compromised a computer belonging to one of your acquaintances. Your address was then spoofed as the source of other undesireable email. Your Mac has nothing to do with the message in question.

7. Bear macrumors G3

And not necessarily the person's service providor. You can fake return addresses on email.

8. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

well I just changed my password at earthlink, and of course in mail.

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The word for this when it is done in excess is a "Joe Job", which as the story goes is named after "Joe" who lost his online business because spammers forged his addy as their return address and he was bombarded by complaints, resulting in the ISP pulling the plug (unjustly) on him.

Moral of the story is, if you start getting dozens and hundreds of these a day, call your ISP, let them know there is a Joe Job going on, and ask their help in filtering or defending against it. A few here and there are next to impossible to prevent short of closing the mail account.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com