Butterfly shots

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by hcuar, Dec 12, 2005.

1. macrumors 65816

hcuar

I took a couple butterfly shots that I thought were pretty decent with my Canon Powershot S1 IS this summer. I can't wait until I get to try out my Fujifilm S9000 with similar shots this summer. I reduced the size by 50% to be able to attach to the thread.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 68000

seenew

Very nice depth of field. I would run a Sharpen filter over them in PS, though.

3. macrumors 68030

Sharpening in PS may look to fake, the images are quite good how they are. My suggestion for future shots would be to stop down the aperture a bit (say f5.6 or f8 light allowing). This would allow you to get more of the butterfly in focus while still maintaining a blurred background, which would fall off due to distance. You may not get quite the degree of blur back there with a smaller aperture (higher #) but it would help get more of the subject in focus.

The first picture, the butterflies' head is quite sharp, but the tip of its wings are a bit soft....again solved by aperture if applicable. The second image is a bit soft everywhere, but not bad. It looks a bit like camera shake as there is not really a single point that stands out as "sharp". Overall though, I really like the pictures, amazing detail on both the flower and the butterfly, nice work.