buttons not appearing in view

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by stoopkitty, Apr 21, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Hi, I am having some problems with getting UIButtons to appear in my app. In my code, I have made 9 buttons (also some other UI elements), and initialized all of them in loadView. This works up to a point, except a few (4 to be exact) buttons never appear in the view. If you know of anything that could be causing this, please leave me a response. thanks!!

Things I have tried:
    • adding everything to view in viewDidLoad.
    • Not using images for the buttons.
    • Making sure the buttons are set to hidden=NO
    • switching up the order that i create each button (it is always the same 4 that do not appear)
    • Changing other UI elements to make sure that it is not just running an old build of my program over and over again.
    • setting the buttons location to a different place including on the main screen. (NOTE: When the app starts up, i have a set of buttons on the left and a set on the right (offscreen) and it slides back and forth between screens but you can still see some of the buttons on the right screen, its just those 4 that you cant see.

Code (if you need other code please tell me):
    For a working button:
    in .h i initialize and set @property
    Code:
    UIButton *slideLeftButton;
    @property (nonatomic, retain) IBOutlet UIButton *slideLeftButton;

in .m i @synthesize, then i set up button and add to view
    Code:
    @synthesize ... slideLeftButton, ...
    //slideLeftButton slides left
    slideLeftButton = [UIButton buttonWithType:UIButtonTypeRoundedRect];
    slideLeftButton.frame = CGRectMake(340, 248, 130, 50);
    [slideLeftButton setTitle:@"<-- Input" forState:UIControlStateNormal];
    [slideLeftButton setTitle:@"<-- Input" forState:UIControlStateHighlighted];
    filepath = [[NSBundle mainBundle] pathForResource:@"button-half@2x" ofType:@"png"];
    [slideLeftButton setBackgroundImage:[UIImage imageWithContentsOfFile:filepath] forState:UIControlStateNormal];
    filepath = [[NSBundle mainBundle] pathForResource:@"button-halfDown@2x" ofType:@"png"];
    [slideLeftButton setBackgroundImage:[UIImage imageWithContentsOfFile:filepath] forState:UIControlStateHighlighted];
    [slideLeftButton setTitleColor:[UIColor darkTextColor] forState:UIControlStateHighlighted];
    [slideLeftButton addTarget:self action:@selector(slideLeft) forControlEvents:UIControlEventTouchUpInside];
    [self.view addSubview:slideLeftButton];

For a non-working button:
    in .h i initialize and set @property
    Code:
    UIButton *shareWithFacebookButton;
    @property (nonatomic, retain) IBOutlet UIButton *shareWithFacebookButton;

in .m i @synthesize, then i set up button and add to view
    Code:
    @synthesize ... shareWithFacebookButton, ...
    //shareWithFacbook button calls shareWithFacebook
    shareWithFacebookButton = [UIButton buttonWithType:UIButtonTypeRoundedRect];
    shareWithFacebookButton.frame = CGRectMake(490, 306, 130, 50);
    [shareWithFacebookButton setTitle:@"Facebook" forState:UIControlStateNormal];
    [shareWithFacebookButton setTitle:@"Facebook" forState:UIControlStateHighlighted];
    filepath = [[NSBundle mainBundle] pathForResource:@"button-half@2x"  ofType:@"png"];
    [shareWithFacebookButton setBackgroundImage:[UIImage imageWithContentsOfFile:filepath] forState:UIControlStateNormal];
    filepath = [[NSBundle mainBundle] pathForResource:@"button-halfDown@2x"  ofType:@"png"];
    [shareWithFacebookButton setBackgroundImage:[UIImage imageWithContentsOfFile:filepath] forState:UIControlStateHighlighted];
    [shareWithFacebookButton setTitleColor:[UIColor darkTextColor] forState:UIControlStateHighlighted];
    [shareWithFacebookButton addTarget:self action:@selector(shareWithFacebook) forControlEvents:UIControlEventTouchUpInside];
    [self.view addSubview:shareWithFacebookButton];