Buy 20" Cinema NOW, or WAIT?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jrv3034, Oct 29, 2003.

  1. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

    Oct 23, 2002
    Hello, all. I'm going to be ordering a new G5 in the next week or two, and I'm torn about the monitor... I love the Apple Cinema Displays, but they do seem due for an update, and possibly a price drop. I'd hate to spend $1300 now and a month later find a better quality, aluminum clad 20" Cinema Display available for $999, or something like that.

    I'm going to be doing a lot of video editing for the next 6 months, so what would you all suggest I do? Should I get the 20" now, or wait as long as possible and then get it, or not spend the money now and get it whenever they get updated, or forget about an LCD in the first place and get a 22" CRT for half the price?

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!:)
  2. Prabz macrumors member

    Sep 25, 2003
    Meri PHILLY meri jaan!
    Re: Buy 20" Cinema NOW, or WAIT?


    dude! Definitely... if you can, you should!
    Otherwise go in for the CRT.

    P.S: MonitorsDirect seemz to be an oft-recommended site around here to shop for displays;) ..Good luck!
  3. Foxer macrumors 65816


    Feb 22, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Re: Re: Buy 20" Cinema NOW, or WAIT?

    Are you aware of something of which we are not?

    As to the original question - Apple displays hold their value very well. I just bought a G5 and had the same dilemma. I wanted the 23-inch, but opted for 20-inch on the rationale that, logically, they will be updated and at that time, and can sell the current model for near the purchase price. In effect, I'm renting.
  4. Prabz macrumors member

    Sep 25, 2003
    Meri PHILLY meri jaan!
    Re: Re: Re: Buy 20" Cinema NOW, or WAIT?

    Yes, of course!
    ...But the infomation is ::HIGHLY CLASSIFIED:: and I'd have to kill ya if I were to divulge it to ya...


    Naah... Just Kiddin':p. I don't. I just that the post only a "BUY!" or "WAIT" poll!

    Anyways, lemme now elucidate why I feel jrv3034 should wait:
    1) In my opinion, the Apple displays are by far the best quality LCD displays out in the market these days.
    2) Secondly, as mentioned by Foxer, they have a better re-sale value too as compared to others. Hence, they are good value for money (for those of us who can afford 'em ;))
    3) The money factor itself, I agree, is pretty steep for these displays as they are rather expensive:(. So saving a couple of hundred dollarz on these babies can be pretty sweet!
    4) And THAT, combined with receiving a *new version* of the display model in the bargain, makes the waiting totally worthwhile.
    5) Plus, at least later on one wouldn't have to deal with the dreaded Buyer's Remorse:


    Originally posted by jrv3034
    "Sigh! If only I had waited for two more months..."

  5. Death2PCs macrumors newbie

    Feb 18, 2003
    CA, USA
    why dont you buy a half way decent crt to get you through the next couple months, then when you feel its time buy the LCD and sell the crt (or keep it as a second monitor?
  6. lha72 macrumors member

    Jun 23, 2003
    Go with the CRT, but plan on keeping it for three years to make the purchase worth it. Otherwise, go with a good LCD - I have the Sony 23" SDM-P232W, which not only cost less than the Apple 23", but has a much nicer form factor and, in my opinion, has superior performance.
  7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus


    Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA

Share This Page