1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

buy a 12" powerbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by direzz, Mar 27, 2006.

  1. macrumors 6502

    #1
    I have wanted one of these for a very long time.. and as soon as i found out that they werent going to be coming anytime soon i went out and bought a sony vaio.. which im now selling, big mistake. anyways.. i reallk want the portability of a small labtop. the 12 incher would be perfect for me at school and such, but im not sure if i should buy one. im gonna be using it for photoshop.. at least a few hours a week on photoshop, web browsing, music/video editing, and word processing..

    my question to you:

    does anyone think we will see a new 12" or 13" mac book within the next 6 months.. if so.. should i wait?

    thanks for all of your help it is greatly appreciated
     
  2. macrumors 65816

    StarbucksSam

    #2
    It's been a while. I really would advise you to wait.
     
  3. macrumors regular

    #3
    We will certainly see a new 12" mac laptop in the next 6 months... If you can wait that long then you should. Whatever you do you should not buy a new 12" PB... go referb or used if you absolutely have to have one... right now the 12" PB is arguably the biggest ripoff in apples line-up
     
  4. macrumors 6502a

    amateurmacfreak

    #4
    I know it's hard to wait, but buying a Powerbook now would be a huge mistake. Wait, definitely.
     
  5. macrumors 6502a

    #5
    The current 12" PowerBook has been available since January of 2005. They had one price cut on it (dropping the Combo model, making the Super model $1499), but thats all.

    I would never buy such a thing new when its become so stale.

    Note, though, that the special deals section of the Apple Store may have something that strikes your fancy. I seem to remember them previously having a $1099 Combo Rev. D 12" PowerBook. And the $799 refurb iBook (latest rev) is a much better deal than buying new.
     
  6. macrumors 65816

    #6
    No complaints about my 12'' PowerBook :)


    I could careless if it was a "rip off." In my opinion its kind of ironic how some people say that on this board when people go out and buy the Apple Cinema displays when the Dell one is sitting right there for the taking at such a lower price. ;)

    However, seeing how Intel is just around the corner, if you want to wait go ahead. If you want to buy it now, go ahead. Either way, its going to be a good purchase, and you will be satisfied.
     
  7. macrumors 6502

    #7
    yeah i think if i am gonna buy im gonna go for a refurb. i also wouldnt feel comfortable going for a rev a machine either, even if a new one comes out.
     
  8. macrumors 6502

    #8
    question: how is the screen on the 12 inch? bright?
     
  9. macrumors 68000

    MattyMac

    #9
    Hi, I was in the same perdicament as you....but about 6 months ago. However, if I was at this point in time I would have waited. However, I have no regrets now because I love my powerbook 12 incher and its the perfect little machine for me.

    As for the screen...its good enough for me, although some people would say its too dull for their liking. You would have to check one out for yourself at a local apple store...if you have one.

    Hope this helps.
     
  10. macrumors 6502a

    #10
    Just wait buddy, just wait. If you get it now, you'll regret another purchase yet again! The 12-incher will probably just have about a year of lifetime if you buy it now, so just like everyone said, WAIT! I'm sure in like a week or two, the 12-inch or 13-inch MacBook will come out. And it'll be worth the wait. :-D
     
  11. macrumors 6502

    #11
    do you really think so? i thot there wasnt going to be an apple event?
     
  12. macrumors 6502a

    #12
    There's not going to be an Apple event, but Apple is still expected to release new hardware in the next couple of weeks. (Contrary to popular belief, Apple doesn't always have a media event to announce new hardware).
     
  13. macrumors 6502

    #13


    this i did not know !
     
  14. macrumors 65816

    ipacmm

    #14
    The 12" powerbook is a great laptop but unless you get a really good deal on it, I would wait until the new version because you know it will be out soon. If you feel you do not need the MBP 12" version and can live with the G4 chip, I would just make sure I upgrade the ram in it.
     
  15. macrumors 68020

    #15
    I don't know why you all state that direzz will regret purchasing a 12" PowerBook now. We all know that new Intel-based machines are likely slated for release within the next few months or weeks, so there won't be any surprises, and you'll know what you're getting into. Besides, the rumors are that there won't be a 12" MacBook Pro, and it's not entirely clear there will be a 12" form factor MacBook either.

    As I always say, if you need the machine now, then buy it. Anybody who recommends to avoid purchasing a PowerBook now, under any circumstances at this point, is giving bad advice IMO.

    Having said that, I would personally go for a discounted refurbished 12" PowerBook if I needed a new machine now.
     
  16. macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    #16
    the 12" powerbook was last updated January 31, 2005. The only "update" since then has been making superdrive standard (i.e. dropping the combo drive model and lowering price on superdrive model a bit). So the 12" powerbook is about 9 months past due for an update. Buying one now would be... ill advised.

    Indeed, there does not have to be a special event for apple to release new hardware. In fact, it is fairly rare to have such events outside of expos. There will certainly be a new 12/13" intel macbook and/or macbook pro, and I think the wait will be closer to 6 days than 6 months. (It could be a few weeks, but it will not be months, and it could be within days.)

    edit: in response to aquajet:
    I believe he'll regret buying one now because:
    - the graphics card is crap
    - the screen is dull and low res
    - 256 RAM built-in with 1.25 GB cap
    - the G4 is slow as hell compared to the 'books that will shortly be available

    I know that "the next great thing" is always coming, but in this case, the current model is 14 months old and the new model is almost certainly mere weeks away. Simply put, a couple weeks patience will net direzz a LOT more for his money.
     
  17. macrumors 6502

    #17

    great points. im still unsure, but i mean, if im not satifsfied with the powerbook i buy and i absolutely effing have to have whatever else comes out... then i will go for it.. but i hope to think i would be satisfied with my 12 inch pb.
     
  18. macrumors 6502a

    #18
    Get the PB 12", refurb. It's still the coolest little 12" on the market, the ONLY one that is from Apple and runs Mac OS X, and the screen is *impeccable*. Great dpi, great brightness, wonderful all-around. With the extra money you save, buy a Bluetooth mouse, a nice case, some extra RAM, or a nice big 60g iPod. If Apple comes out with something new you REALLY want, wait until Rev. B, and buy it for yourself for Christmas or in 2007 (after the next version of OS X comes out).
     
  19. macrumors 6502

    #19

    i like that idea!! but um.. i dont see any 12" pb;s on the refurb site.. am i blind
     
  20. macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    #20
    well actually, the 12" ibook is from apple and runs OS X... it has the same dpi and brightness, and, as I use one every day, I can tell you they're not so great. The screens on the current ibooks and 12" PB are really sub-par. In fact, the screen is my biggest complaint about this ibook.

    I'm not sure why you're so hell-bent on getting this right now. You're paying top dollar for a 14 month old model. Do you really need this right now? You really can't wait a few weeks? I understand wanting a new mac right now, but I seriously think you'll be kicking yourself in about 2 weeks.
     
  21. macrumors 6502

    #21



    yeah i think everyone made great points.. but ill make my decision in a few weeks time unfortunately.. i just hope a new rev a machine wont have problems like the macbook pro :(
     
  22. macrumors 6502a

    MUCKYFINGERS

    #22
    the refurb latest rev 12" iBook would be a better buy unless you really want the look of the powerbook. it's not like the powerbook will do much more for you, unless you plan on hooking it up to an external monitor at home a lot. then i'd probably consider the powerbook over the ibook (the ibook hack sucks).
     
  23. macrumors regular

    #23
    I am hoping that when the new 12" comes out, people start unloading there "old" g4 for cheap. I would like to upgrade my Mini to a 12" pb and use it mainly as a desktop but also when needed can take it on the run. Plus, as an avid Macromedia suite user, the universal binaries wont be out for a bit I think. And PShop.
     
  24. macrumors 65816

    #24
    I bought a used one about three weeks ago. Got it for a steal, so the price wasn't so bad and it was in MINT condition. IMO, its the best blend of power and portability out there.

    The screen is great until you put it next to something better. I got a dell 20" monitor a couple of days ago, and until I plugged the PB into it, I was really happy with the PB screen. Now that I use the monitors next to one another, its more noticable that the PB screen is a bit dim. Still quite usable though.

    My 2 pennies: wait for another week or so to see what happens. If you don't like what's announced then, shop carefully and buy a used 12" PB for a good price. You'll probably make a decent chunk back if you get a good deal on it.
     
  25. macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    #25
    I'm using the ibook hack right now; it's great. But you can still only do VGA, so I'd agree: if you want a big external monitor, get the powerbook for DVI.

    But again, in a few weeks this will all be moot. :)
     

Share This Page