Buy a 4S, activate later?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johndallas999, Nov 17, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

I'm upgrade eligible for the 4S but I was wondering if I could buy a 4S but not activate the 4S until later, keeping my 3GS active for a while (month or so). Does anyone know if ATT will let you do that?

2. macrumors 68030

FreakinEurekan

Sure, can't see why they'd care as long as you're paying the bill :)

Ed: If you order it now, it may be a month or so before you get it! Mine arrived yesterday, ordered 10/22

3. macrumors 68040

bradl

Yep. You can do that. Just tell them to have it delivered to you instead of to the store. That way, you can activate it at home, whenever you want to, instead of immediately then and there.

I'm in the same boat with my 3G, while the 4S I ordered is just about to be shipped. When it gets in, I'll still have a need for my 3G for about a month or so, so I'll be waiting to activate the 4S.

BL.

4. macrumors newbie

I got two 4s from AT&T as upgrade and didn't activate them until a week later. During that week, I was able to use the phones for just about everything except phone calls.

5. macrumors member

This was in my email from AT&T after ordering a 4S:

After it is activated you could always go to the AT&T store and get a new regular SIM for your line, or you could use a micro-SIM to regular SIM adapter and use your 4S SIM in your 3GS.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Thanks for everyone's input! Very good info from all.