Buy A Frappuccino With Food Stamps At Oregon Starbucks In Grocery Stores

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Dec 5, 2011.

1. macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Absolutely ridiculous. The price of a starbucks drink could be used to buy actual food for a family that needs it.

Link

2. macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Well, that's what happens when you rely on incompetent private sector charities to provide assistance for those in need. The Government is in a much better position to establish guidelines for assistance for those in need.

3. macrumors 68040

bruinsrme

Your tax dollars hard at work.

4. macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, from reading the story, it appears that the fault lies with Safeway, which reports the sales at in-house Starbucks as grocery items.

It's interesting, how much control do you want the food stamp system to have over individuals' eating habits?

The system mostly restricts food that can be eaten in the store, but allows for some exceptions, this was one loophole that, according to the article, may be closed. Off the things to find offensive, this is pretty far down the list.

Moreover, does anyone know how often this happens? What other states do about similar programs? Are there any metrics besides this one illustrative story?

Frankly, the story is shoddy.

5. macrumors 601

OneMike

Here's the problem with the story and why you have to carefully check your sources when reading articles.

Your link to the consumerist says:

Ok that sounds bad. However, that article links to the original Fox 12 affiliate KPTV which says:

When you pick and choose bits and pieces of an article, you can make it sound however you want.

I'd bet the majority of people never even knew about this loophole or used it

6. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

So basically to sum it up. It is fake news trying to make a story out of nothing.
    Not surprising it is from fake news.

It is Safeway screw up. Not a mistake with food stamps. There is nothing the government did wrong as Safeway has it miss labeled the system approves it.

I

7. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

Are we all also getting worked up over tax loopholes that we KNOW are exploited by mega corporations to swindle the US out of billions of dollars?

8. macrumors 65816

Simgar988

No! Because people who run corporations have taken big risks to be where they are, while poor people who need food stamps can only be explained as lazy.

It's the lazy people at fault, not the hard workers

9. eawmp1, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

macrumors 601

eawmp1

At 190 calories for a Tall and 323 calories for a Venti, it's not right no matter how you pay for it. ;)

10. macrumors 68000

hulugu

I agree, the lack of context is really a problem. How many people do this? How much has Starbucks/Safeway made from the food stamp program? Is this a freak event or a daily happenstance?

I agree, if Safeway treats a frappuccino as a grocery item, but not extra shots of syrup, that's a flaw at Safeway. The government program was apparently unaware of this—which makes me wonder about how they audit spending—but this was a loophole.

The major banks had secret loans worth trillions, but let's talk about someone on food stamps getting a coffee.

11. macrumors regular

That Starbucks is not a real Starbucks. It's a licensed Starbucks, aka, their employees only think they're baristas. In Pennsylvania, there are certain types of foods you cannot buy with food stamps, including hot items. If the drink didn't fall under the scrutiny of the law, then it isn't the fault of Starbucks (even more so because they aren't actually a Starbucks store).

At the end of the day, a Frappuncino is still nourishment, albeit not the most healthy kind. Claims of our prices are always greatly exaggerated, especially when people pin us in the same group as licensed stores who often charge way more.

12. mcrain, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

macrumors 68000

mcrain

Remember the "welfare queen driving in her Caddy?" Nevermind that no one could find her, or even verify if she existed. Oh wait, they found her...

13. macrumors 601

OneMike

I think it's the same in Florida. I was at Publix one time and these people holding a case of beer were asking if they could buy hot chicken with food stamps. The lady said no, but pointed them to where they had cold cooked chicken. I'm sure they had to pay for the beer in cash, but never knew the hot/cold purchase thing existed till then. Never had a reason to know though.

14. macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

This isn't related, but when you mentioned Caddy, I thought of this granny.

Check out this car. What song did CNN play? Thank God that wasn't Fox that played that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oF1pf5V-SQ

15. macrumors regular

I used to work at Sheetz years back, kind of a WaWa type place in states surrounding PA. People would get so mad when we told them we can't heat their food. Why in the world anyone would come to Sheetz to get food when they can barely afford it to begin with is beyond me.

I do hope with future posts people realize that you can't use food stamps at an actual Starbucks.