Buy a G5 now with huge savings or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Bhennies, Apr 16, 2004.

  1. Bhennies macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2004
    Location:
    NYC & Baltimore
    #1
    Hi, maybe you guys can help me out with this one.

    Ok, so I am a audio engineer / photographer-designer (flash, photoshop: 500MB-1gb files, dreamweaver etc.) and I've been waiting for the new g5 and a new 20" display to go along with it (I'm anticipating better color, faster pixel response etc.). I was intent on waiting to get the new g5 (more power and less bugs) until I came across this offer at my school store.

    I can get a dual 1.8 g5, with a 20" monitor and applecare included for 3197.

    At the apple store or CDW, it would be 4,099.

    With the amount of money I'd save, I could almost get a 12" powerbook as well. By the way, I graduate this May, and lose all my student discounts so there's no chance of waiting till WWDC for the new g5 and display at edu price. This sucks. HELP!!

    p.s. does anyone here know about the problems associated with rev.a g5's with pro audio hardware or power supplies? This would be enough to sway me. Thanks!!
     
  2. jxyama macrumors 68040

    jxyama

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2003
    #2
    get it before you lose your student status. no amount of update (except maybe a G6 ;) ) would justify passing up such substantial savings.

    the new display won't be much better in terms of performance, i imagine. LCD technology hasn't improved that much, price drop is likely and new form factor is definite, but i don't think it will be drastically better in terms of performance.
     
  3. JamesDPS macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2004
    Location:
    Irvine, CA
    #3
    On the other hand, you must know people who AREN'T graduating, right? :) Just find someone to buy for you... although that is a pretty good deal (I've been tempted myself by a dual 1.8 for $1999 but I'm holding out...)
     

Share This Page