Buy a mac from the states...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pc_convert?, Feb 22, 2004.

1. pc_convert? macrumors regular

Anyone had any expierence buying a mac from the U.S and bringing it back to the UK?

15" PB 1.25GHz ------ (US Applestore)$2599 --- (UK Applestore)£1999
    20GB iPod ------------ (US Applestore)$399 --- (UK Applestore)£299
    Airport w/o modem --- (US Applestore)$199 --- (UK Applestore)£149
    Applecare ----------- (US Applestore)$349 --- (UK Applestore)£279
    Total ---------------- (US Applestore)$3546 or £1915 --- (UK Applestore)£2726 or $5070

I realise that the exchange rate is unusally high at the moment and that the uk has VAT added but the price disparity is still unreasonable. Buying everything in the US costs less than just the PB in the UK!

I wouldn't even mind to much if the UK price was US price converted to GBP and had VAT added

$3546 > £1915 + VAT = £2250

How can Apple justify ripping off the uk and europe? No wonder they are out of debt. Anyway enough ranting...anyone had any problems buying from the US and bringing back, I'm thinking of flying to NY.

2. m4rc macrumors 6502

This has been discussed recently on at least these two threads;

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61010

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60485

You have to add sales tax to the US prices unless done already, and bringing them into the UK will attract customs attention and you will have to pay import duty.

As you will see in the threads above, it is possible to go and get one, just try to hide the fact it's new or your savings will be minimal, if anyhting.

3. kafiene macrumors newbie

My dad used to travel a lot on business and supposedly you have to register a lap top and other expensive elcetronic items (ie cameras) with customs before leaving your home country. I'm not sure if this just applies to Canada or if this was also true when he was living in Jamaica or England.

4. alxths macrumors 6502

Just fyi, airport is a rip off.. you can get any old wireless router (b or g) and it'll work just fine.