Buy a Mac Mini now or wait for Apple show?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by UrsaMajor, Jan 4, 2007.

  1. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2007
    #1
    I'm in the market for a mac mini. I was wondering if there are going to be any major upgrades in the next 2 months or should I go ahead and buy it now?
     
  2. Retired

    psychofreak

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #2
    In 5 days, apple could release the new C2D mac mini at MWSF.
     
  3. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2003
    #3
    wait

    With macworld sf only days away I think waiting is a good idea. Even if they do not upgrade the mini (possible) you can see where Apple is going.

    Of course if they do upgrade the mini in a major way you will likely have to wait for it to hit stores.

    Aren't holding patterns fun?
     
  4. macrumors 6502

    Tarkovsky

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2007
    Location:
    London/Norwich
    #4
    Hey if they drastically improve their line up were in it together matey as my imac 24 is on its way as we browse... If they seriousely update it I will send it back....
     
  5. macrumors 68000

    SpaceMagic

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2003
    Location:
    Cardiff, Wales
    #5
    You'd be silly not to wait just 5 days more. They're pretty much guaranteed to upgrade them to C2D... A
     
  6. macrumors 601

    Compile 'em all

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2005
    #6
    Minis with upgraded processors are coming out in MWSF
     
  7. macrumors 65816

    emptyCup

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2005
    #7
    On the other hand, by ancient tradition, every Macworld requires a few posts such as yours and at least one post from someone who bought the day before Macworld and is outraged (OUTRAGED!) that Apple would then release new equipment. So, if you want to take a shot at being both...

    Unless there is some reason that demands you buy today, wait. I do not think it is just coincidence that the iTV has exactly the same form factor as the mini. May you be content in your choices.
     
  8. macrumors 65816

    ziwi

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    Location:
    Right back where I started...
    #8
    Less than a week - absolutely wait to see - just in case.
     
  9. Retired

    psychofreak

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #9
    It isn't; it has the same footprint, but is not as tall.
     
  10. macrumors 68030

    BlizzardBomb

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2005
    Location:
    England
    #10
    Correct me if I'm wrong but no major sites have said anything about the Mac mini getting a MWSF update, so the only thing to back up these claims are educated guesses. Not saying it won't happen, but I wouldn't be too sure about it.

    P.S. Yeah wait, it may happen it may not.
     
  11. thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2007
    #11
    Makes Sense. I know Apple maintains their price points so if they do come out with something new, it would be the same price.
     
  12. macrumors 6502a

    vendettabass

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2006
    Location:
    Seoul, South Korea
    #12
    I think they should definately do something after MWSF about the Mini, at least a silent update!

    1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo
    2.00Ghz Core 2 Duo's
    please! And ditch the combo drives :)
     
  13. macrumors 68020

    Father Jack

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2007
    Location:
    Ireland
    #13
    Definitely hold on :cool:



    FJ
     
  14. macrumors 601

    BornAgainMac

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004
    Location:
    Florida Resident
    #14
    Introducing new Mini. Now in 5 delicious colors.
     
  15. macrumors 68020

    Father Jack

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2007
    Location:
    Ireland
    #15
    Many a true word .........

    FJ
     
  16. macrumors 65816

    MacDonaldsd

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2005
    Location:
    London , UK
    #16
    You have to hold out till macworld it would be silly not to. Even if the mac mini doesnt get a update wouldnt you also get iLife 07 instead of iLife 06?
     
  17. macrumors 6502

    Tarkovsky

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2007
    Location:
    London/Norwich
    #17
    I spoke to them on the phone this morning (GMT) in an effort to sweet talk them into sending me a copy of iLife 07 as my Imac will arrive on wednesday. Whilst they would not confirm that iLife 07 is even comming out on monday, they told me to phone back then. I think the treat of cancelling my order was enough to shock them into offering it for free.

    We'll see whether I get totally duped with an update to the iMac, if so, the order will just get cancelled and I will order the updated version.
     
  18. macrumors member

    Mxsix

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2006
    #18
    I almost hope Apple doesn't up their Mini's because I just bought one. :(
     
  19. macrumors 68040

    CrackedButter

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    Location:
    51st State of America
    #19
    Your lack of purchase will not shock anybody (who do you think you are fooling), its a drop in the ocean with regard to sales, however I like your optimism, you're gonna need it.
     
  20. macrumors 68040

    CrackedButter

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    Location:
    51st State of America
    #20
    I am however, hoping the opposite is true because I want to buy one. Considering I'm in the UK as well. We're over due a price drop what with the weak dollar... I say this while being able to make a Higher Education purchase.
     
  21. macrumors G4

    skunk

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2002
    Location:
    Republic of Ukistan
    #21
    The only bit of iLife which affects me at all is iPhoto, since iTunes gets upgraded freely, and I don't use iMovie, iDVD or iWeb.
     
  22. macrumors demi-god

    Zwhaler

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2006
    #22
    Yeah more like the next 2 days there will be an upgrade, so just sit tight because it will be well worth it.
     
  23. macrumors 68030

    CmdrLaForge

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2003
    Location:
    around the world
    #23
    It's obvious to wait for MWSF. Even if the mini is not updated you get iLife 07
     
  24. macrumors 68020

    phungy

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2006
    Location:
    FL/NY/TX
    #24
    If the Minis do get the C2D upgrade, I may just buy one for my parents. I don't want them using Windoze anymore :cool:
     
  25. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2006
    Location:
    Scotland
    #25
    Not sold on the Mini getting an update Tuesday :D

    I would expect it to go Core 2 Duo in time for Leopard, but the best WAG says we are looking at April for that.

    Tricky time for Apple - got to find a way to keep people buying between now and the release of Leopard. One good theory is that the prices across the range could be reduced. The Mini and MacBook could cerainly used a £50 price drop to keep them attractive in the face of the post-Xmas prices of Wintel systems - Laptops for as low as £200! (no where near as good as a MacBook sure - but with those kind of price differences people are going to think twice about switching).

    We are fast approaching the "don't buy until Leopard" point.
     

Share This Page