Buy a Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by smilemon, Dec 13, 2005.

1. smilemon macrumors newbie

smilemon

I am interested in the performance of a mac mini. Is it powerful enough to do video rendering and gaming. I run Final Cut Express Hd and Play World of Warcraft. Just wondering if less power is worth not paying as much.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The Mini is on the very bottom edge for FCE HD, esp. in the video card area. And it is not a gamer machine. Honestly I would go for the iMac G5 as the entry level machine for these.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

It can definitely do video. Not blazingly fast, but it does it just fine for me.

Gaming though, you'll be happier elsewhere. World of Warcraft runs, but you have to tone everything down to the minimum, and you'll have a hell of a time in crowded areas and battlegrounds. So I don't recommend it for this kind of thing.

I second the iMac G5 recommendation.

4. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

I third the iMac G5 for what you want the computer to be able to do...lot better deal for what your getting to...easily the best value in the mac lineup for computers.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree with CanadaRAM, go for the iMac G5 (if you can afford it) over the Mac Mini.

While the Mac Mini can do your stated tasks- it will do them s-l-o-w-l-y.

6. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

If Apple puts out the Intel mac mini w/ a 5400/7200 rpm in Jan, that would be a lot better. Why not wait and see what comes

7. smilemon thread starter macrumors newbie

smilemon

Thanks

My dad works for apple and he can get a mac mini real cheap so I think I'm going to go with one. Thanks for the help. Its still about twice as fast as the comp I have now.

8. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I have a Mac Mini, and I love it, seriously it's one of the best purchases I have made along with my iPod Video,.

I use both Final Cut Pro and World of Warcraft, the Mac Mini runs both fairly well to my surprise but be warned it still can't keep up with the G5 iMac.

World of Warcraft does run a treat, the graphics are pretty smooth and I find it's less laggy compared to my other Windows machine (yes I do know XP IS COMPLETE TRASH).

Overall if you're going for a good cheap multimedia computer that can do music, video and some games go for the Mac Min it wont dissapoint but if you are into serious games you can't go past the G5 iMac.

9. adk macrumors 68000

adk

If it's really that cheap, go for it. Worst case you can hook it up to your TV and use it for media.