Buy a Mac now or wait till after Tiger

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Danzsupreme, Apr 15, 2005.

  1. Danzsupreme macrumors member

    Apr 15, 2005
    I just called the apple store and they said if i purchase an Ibook now that they will send me Tiger for $9.99 once its released. Should i go ahead and do it or wait till tiger comes out and see if the Rev. Ibooks also come out
  2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603


    Feb 2, 2002
  3. invaLPsion macrumors 65816


    Jan 2, 2004
    The Northlands
    Wait till Tiger comes out so you can get a look at all of the new releases between now and then before making a buying decision. :cool:
  4. hechacker1 macrumors member


    Feb 1, 2005
    UCSD, LA Jolla, CA, USA
    I am going to wait... the reason is that if you wait Tiger will be pre-installed on the system, instead of you having to do a upgrade or format of the system again. I don't like upgrades because they tend to leave a lot of old junk behind (at least on most OS, but I've never used macos).

    Also, i am hoping they release updates to the videocards because of core Image (so users like me won't complain that we don't get all the benefits of it).
  5. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    At this point I would certainly recommend waiting. Having Tiger pre-installed would be a bonus. My main reason for waiting is that updates are due. Would not want to purchase and then updates in a month or two.
  6. Peyote macrumors 6502a


    Apr 11, 2002
    If you are not concerned about hardware updates, there's not much reason to wait for Tiger at this point. If you buy a mac now, you can purchase Tiger when it's released for $10.00, which is practically nothing if having your mac now rather than in May means a lot to you.
  7. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

    Sep 25, 2003
    One might argue that it's worth buying now BECAUSE Panther will be installed - that way you could get a Tiger update for $9.99 (or if you time the purchase right, for free because it'll be included in the box but not already be pre-installed). That way you can wait until all the early adopters have installed Tiger and report back on it before you decide whether to update or not. If the first round of Tiger installs turn up problems, you can then wait until Apple issue a fix, then install Tiger, download the fix and save yourself all the problems, while not having any time without a working Mac.

    Of course if the first reports of Tiger installs are positive, you can go ahead and install it immediately. But at least this way you get the choice!
  8. WolfgangK macrumors member

    Apr 13, 2005
    I am in the same boat...

    But I plan to wait until May 1-2 to see if any updates materialize, and make sure I get an iBook with Tiger pre-installed. I'm really hoping for an update to the GPU, but if not, I will still purchase probably. Because this isn't going to be my main machine, I've decided I can live with the 9200 mobility. I will still be able to use iMovie, iDVD, some games, graphic design(mainly flash) and so on.

    An update at or around the release of Tiger would be a great bonus though.
  9. jscheiman macrumors member

    Mar 21, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I would second this as well. I am purchasing a new PM next week and so don't mind paying $10 for the DVD. This way I'll have a bug free working Panther but can update to Tiger after it is released and see if there are any immediate issues or bugs that may need patching.

    Why delay your excitement for an OS. You could start playing with your new machine now! Just my opinion!
  10. cubist macrumors 68020

    Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    And another point, the disc that comes with the machine with Tiger preinstalled may not work on any other type of Mac, and so is technically worth a little less than the $10 disc you would get later.

    The Apple store has a great assortment of refurbs at really good prices right now. I don't know if those would come with the $10 update; it'd be worth asking. They are coming with iLife'05, so I guess they would. You can get an iBook 12" 1.2GHz for $799, or $849 with AE.

    You can get a refurb, save money and have the machine right now. A newly-announced machine will cost more, and may take a while to get delivered. And if you wait, the new machines may not be all that much better anyway.
  11. lorenzo macrumors member

    Apr 5, 2005

    Whats AE?
  12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

    Jul 4, 2004
    Airport Extreme -- wireless.
  13. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

    Apr 13, 2004
    New York
  14. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040


    Nov 5, 2002
    even if the lines aren't updated
    its going going to be a few weeks before the machines in the applestore have tiger preinstalled ... longer if they're not updated because they have to sell through their stock .... so think the middle of mayish if no hardware upgrades and probable whenever new machines are available for new machines ... theres a chance your going to wait and have to upgrade anyway.

Share This Page