Buy a Mac or PC?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ArmouredGuitar, Apr 24, 2005.

1. ArmouredGuitar macrumors member

Hey All,

I am in the stage of getting a new computer, I have a iMac 800mhz...... All I use the computer for now is to play games, but its getting slow. I also have a p4 2.5ghz, I also have an apple23" hooked onto the p4. I want to upgrade to only one computer. I m thinking about getting the new high end G5 when they hit stores or build my own high end pc (AMD FX). Are the high end G5's any good for serious gaming? also is virtual pc decent for playing pc games on mac? for example brothers in arms and etc? I usally play high end graphic games such as BIA's, HL2, Doom 3, and such.
    The reason I want a mac is for stability, my PC is a constant headache (crashes and stuff, my mac has never once given me a problem. warrenty was almost a waste). What are your ideas and suggestions?

2. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Well if you only play games you might want a PC. But as you said, they are hell to deal with. You might just be better off with a G5.

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

PC is better than the slow Macs. Get the new Opterons with them dual cores. Beats the pants off any Mac being released this year and next.

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Not true, the Opterons and G5's have very similar levels of performance in benchmarks.

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Classic problem:

As long as most gaming developers go for DirectX, gaming on a Mac will be 2nd best to gaming on a PC.

Most great games are ported to Mac OS X (eventually), but not all, and Half Life 2 is the biggest miss. BIA won't be coming on a Mac near you for some time (if ever).

But that P4 2.5 GHz can still play the games you mentioned well if you have a decent grfx card installed, can't it?

Virtual PC is a NO-GO for gaming. There is no grfx card hardware support, not DirectX compatible and painfully slow.

Decision time:
    If you really only play games on the computer, get that new PC. Just make sure you don't receive email on that computer, or do any downloading from strange ol' sites. Use your iMac for that :)

6. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I think MacsRgr8's idea is the best. Keep your iMac, and do all your email and basic internet computer stuff, and then do all your gaming on your PC. I hope to pick up a PC someday just for gaming when I have some spare cash. Their not that expensive. But I'm sort of, slowly, geting more into console gaming again thanks to my Xbox. But I still do more gaming on my iBook surprisingly, and a gaming PC wouldn't hurt. I'm just saying more of my money will be focused on the Xbox games at the moment.

7. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Buy a PC for your games.

Keep your mac for some serious work.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

But for gaming?

I'm not really one of those people who's fully into the latest and greatest games so for someone like me, I'm happy with a great Mac and a cheap PC for games.

9. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

PC is best for games.

An AMD system is great, and I highly recommend them as a gamer system. I have since given up and moved off to Conslole based games, costs me less doing that.

As far as AMD leading for the next year or two, we will have to see the PC and Macintosh world change faster then a 2 year forcarst. :p

10. Devie macrumors 6502a

Get a Keyboard monitor switch thingo, and get a low end PowerMac or Mac Mini and keep your PC. That way, best of both worlds :D.
    Leave the PC bear as possible, ie only games on it. Nothing else (exluding firewalls etc ;) ).

11. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

Is your P4 unsatisfactory for gaming? Cause you could get a G5, and maybe upgrade the P4 a touch if needed.

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yeah, sure. I remember the biased PC World benchmarks: 330 FPS for the G5, 300 FPS for the Alienware, and the Alienware had twice the VRAM in the graphics card.

As long as you get a game that was WELL PORTED. For example, Doom 3? Opteron will blow away G5.

Halo? G5 will win. I've seen recent benchmarks. Why? Halo was made for OpenGL, originally a Mac game, rather than DirectX (windows has OpenGL and DirectX).

The ONLY reasons Macs aren't the best for gaming are:
    1) Some ports are done sloppy, like Doom 3
    2) Some games aren't ported at all.

But for the games that are ported well, they're great.
    However, the vastly greater amount of games means the PC is better for it, just for the titles.

13. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

You seem like you have a big budget if your going to get top of the model G5's when they come out. If you do why not buy a mac and upgrade your pc with a graphics card, ram etc. Then game away. Then get a mac mini or low end powermac to hook it up to that nice screen. However if you are going to use the mac for surfing, word etc a mini will be capable. Best of both worlds then.

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

to the guy that suggested getting a dual core opteron are you stupid? did you not bother to read the guys post?

games are single threaded with very few exeptions, no point in a dual core chip, or even in an opteron as they are more accustomed to servers and workstations.

personally i'd keep the imac and the PC, you got the best of both worlds, a 2.4GHz p4 is good enough for any game, what graphics card dose it have?

15. benpatient macrumors 68000

upgrade the P4 and get a mini with the extra funds.

Almost every high-end game is gpu limited, not cpu limited, and those that are cpu limited are running only marginally faster on ultra high-end cpus.

Opterons aren't worth the money for a gaming machine for a whole host of reasons.

get a single-core athlon 64 3200+ if you are going to buy an all-new PC. Get at least a 6600 GT/X700 XT graphics card, at least 1 GB of RAM, and do a nice RAID 0 array. You will be able to play all current games no-holds.

Then get a mac mini to replace your current mac, you'll be glad you did.

I use my PC for games and some other things not very available on Mac (HTPC functions, etc) yet, and to look at websites that safari won't open for one reason or another.

You don't need a G5, it sounds like...let me put it this way:

take a game that is available on PC and Mac...the mac version is always at least 10-20 dollars more because it's been out 3-12 months less than the PC version. You can't play any game with Havok or DX-only codepaths...and that's a lot of games, these days.

That's Half Life 2 and all of the great mods attached to it.

Age of Empires III

Max Payne II

Deus Ex II (ok, that game sorta sucked, unfortunately)

Painkiller

Thief 3

and nearly 100 other games on various platforms (mainly PC, but also xbox and PS2)

Havok is apparently never going OS X, though.

People who tell you that Macs are just as good at games and then point to quake 3 at 330fps vs. 300 fps aren't being honest with you or themselves. It's not really comparable in most dual-platform games...it's pretty hard to believe that every mac developer is so thoroughly ignorant. I've heard "they just don't know how to optimize for OS X—look at Quake 3" from people who have never even taken a beginning C++ programming class more times than i care to ponder. Altivec isn't good for games

16. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

That's Lacero for you - seems he has tendency to ... ermmm ... say things tongue-in-cheek. I've a feeling he's as aware as any of us that the cheapest dual Opteron is $1500 and brings no benefit to games.

17. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Why not keep your pc and just buy a new mac. Macs are not the greatest for gaming. I would keep the PC and just buy a new mac, but get a cheap one, you odon't have to have a killer mac.

18. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Somewhat misleading!
    How do you know a game will come on the Mac platform, and will be then ported to the PC, in that case the Mac will "beat the pants" off the PC's now, wont they!?

AG, you said you wanted to go for one computer only - if i were you in that case i'd go for a g5 if possible - it will last you ages, and buy a console - all the games you mentioned are or will be out for the xbox, and the xbox2 is only round the corner - that seems to have most of the titles you seem to go for.

I play BIA all the time in the xbox, and it looks good enough to me!
    The xbox2 will kick some serious ass and will cost a fraction of a PC (especially after the inevitable price drops)

P.S. - The reason Halo ported so well (and was openGL) was because it was ported directly from the xbox version, and not from the PC. You may expect more of this in the future (eg. have you seen that xbox2 developer kit IS the G5!!?!)

19. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Erm... what the hell? :D I did read his post.

The guy said he wanted to get the high end G5, supposedly that means a dual 2.5Ghz G5. If anyone is "stupid" its the original poster. PCs are better for games, period. I know what I am talking about. Do you? ;)

20. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

For now....

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

For the cost of a high-end G5 you can get both a decent gamers PC (or console) and a iMac G5.

22. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

He wanted to have only one computer.

I would suggest an AMD based PC, but if you don't want it to give you headaches, I would suggest that you do not build it yourself because no matter how good you are at researching components there can always be some quirks or incompatibilities that can make your system less stable.

Buy a system with support and warranty like an Alienware system or the Compaq X gaming PCs (if they still exist, I wasn't able to find them at HP's site)

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I would say that third parties favor PC's, so PC's have more games. On an equal footing, the PC isn't any "better" for games than a Mac is. Compare Halo benchmarks.

24. 173080 macrumors 6502

Could it be possible for developers to quickly and easily port games from the Xbox2 to Mac? They will already be running on PowerPC processors AFAIK.
    I wonder how performance would be like since they would be optimized for PowerPC natively.

25. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Exactly, but that really limits your choice of games. :(

There's really only so much chess a man can play! ;)