buy a mac pro tomorrow or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by don13ger, Feb 14, 2007.

  1. don13ger macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2007
    #1
    well, the buyer's guide says dont buy unless you need it.. i certainly need it but i can wait for a few weeks.. but i cant wait 2 months though.. so should i order a macpro tomorrow or wait? does anybody here have leads to when an upgrade may be released?

    i know this type of thread must have been posted and asked several times but im just asking cause i just recently obtained the capability of purchasing one..first mac for me so i want the really latest one... been waiting for a months and the excitement and the wait is not really pleasurable.. hehe.. would appreciate any help/advice...thanks..
     
  2. McGarvels macrumors 6502

    McGarvels

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2006
    Location:
    Irvine, CA
    #2
    I would wait until after Feb 20th. This is just because there was a Pg2 Rumor saying that there may be an Apple Event on that day, so you never know. If not, then I would buy it because it doesn't look like there will be anything until the WWDC in June.

    Cheers!
     
  3. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

    FleurDuMal

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    Location:
    London Town
    #3
    If you're looking to play games on it, then I'd wait to see if there is any substance to these new ATI card rumours.

    If not, then you may as well wait till Feb 20th at least as I think there is some sort of Apple event going on.
     
  4. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

    mattscott306

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2007
    #4
    I agree with the other two posters, wait a week. However, I will say that if nothing happens by then go ahead and get the Mac Pro. You always want to wait until the next thing comes around to purchase your computer, but if you keep that mentality you'll be waiting forever. Something like this though, where there is an event rumored, I'd wait a week for, but again, if nothing happens, jump on it.
     
  5. boneca macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2005
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #5
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as to when to buy MacPro
    I'll be waiting 'till Feb 20 for the event to see if rumors are true...
    http://applerecon.com/2007/01/23/apple-special-event-on-february-20/
    and than if nothing happens probably until mid of April just cause I can wait, not sure if I can wait 'till June, that's too far.

    I'm also planning to buy Apple monitor and for that I'm waiting for new one with iSight build in and who knows when this is gonna be available...
     
  6. Keebler macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Location:
    Canada
    #6
    don, i'd wait for the 20th and then if nothing new comes out and if you can make money with it, buy then.
     
  7. don13ger thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2007
    #7
    thanks for all the replies.. so i guess i will wait till after feb20th.. well i hope those rumors are true.. and that new displays with built in isight would be sweet... hehe.. if u guys hear anything, id still appreciate more info..
     
  8. ChrisA macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2006
    Location:
    Redondo Beach, California
    #8
    Doesn't Apple have a 14 day return policy? Buy it now and it on the 20th there is something better return it and buy the new product. 90% of the rumors never pan out, so there is only a slim chance. Likely even if there is an "event" it will be something you don't care about like "The nano is now available in orange.!" or whatever. Keep the boxes for the 14 day period.
     
  9. macaddict23 macrumors 6502

    macaddict23

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2006
    Location:
    MacVille, USA
    #9
    I know a seller who's getting rid of his 6-month old Dual-core 2GHz Mac Pro for $1600. It's in bone-stock. I'm debating whether to sell my current Dual-core 2GHz G5 (4.5GB ram) while it's still in demand.
     
  10. lionsnwings macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2007
    #10
    What happens on 2/20 if Leopard is announced?

    I am in this same boat, I have decided to convert to mac (and am very excited to do so I might say) but what will happen if Apple announces Leopard is coming?
    If they announce a ship date of 3/24, do I have to wait until then to purchase my new mac?
    Will they offer a free upgrade?
    I am willing to wait a week but would probably not wait a month.
     
  11. felipson macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2006
    #11
    tried other alternatives?

    have you all tried www.buezit.com ? Sometimes someone is looking for a used macbook and is offering 1200. Sold mine right away. hehehe.
     
  12. don13ger thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2007
    #12
    yeah, about that leopard concern too, do u think we'd have to pay extra for the upgrade when it comes out? wouldnt it be more reasonable to wait? and its also nice having leopard come out of the box along with the new mac.
     

Share This Page