Buy a macbook now or wait for merom?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ardizzo, Feb 11, 2006.

  1. ardizzo macrumors newbie

    Feb 11, 2006
    In the fall of this year, I have to go away to college and I want to get a laptop. Certainly I want this to be the macbook pro. However, I also need a laptop right now. Should I buy one of the macbooks now with the yonah cores or wait until the merom core is released. If merom is to be released in the fourth quarter of this year, that would probably be too late for the start of classes. Will having a merom core really make a difference? I am lead to believe that 64 bit software is still a ways off from becoming practical, so should I just get one of the macbooks now?
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus


    Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Another option would be to buy a refurb iBook now, then sell it and buy the best laptop you can afford when you go to college.

    There's a very, very good chance the MBP lineup will change and/or improve over the next six months.

    On the other hand, I've got a 17" Intellimac - in essence, identical to the MBP - and I must say that it runs nearly everything now, and more and more UBs are coming out, so I expect you'd have no problems with the current MBP should you buy now.

    However, as you mentioned, I personally would not expect a Merom MBP before school starts in the fall, or even soon thereafter.
  3. Koodauw macrumors 68040


    Nov 17, 2003
    Well Merom has been rumored to be out in Q4 '06 or 07. So that might influence things a bit.

    Also, dont we have a couple of threads on this topic already?
  4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030


    May 18, 2004
    if you need it now, buy now.......if you dont then wait and see what comes along
  5. T-Stex macrumors 6502

    Jan 15, 2006
    I don't think you'll be able to wait for Merom. If I'm correct, the chip itself isn't scheduled to be released until the fourth quarter of this year, and even then, there's going to be a delay until the Merom-powered MacBook Pros are released. So you're going to be getting a computer before Merom. You could go along the path that someone suggested, and get an iBook now, and another computer later. Personally, I'd wait until summer and the back-to-school sale from Apple, and then get a MacBook Pro. If you absolutely need a laptop now, then get the MacBook Pro now. The current MacBook Pro will do everything you need it to in college. As far as waiting for a 64-bit processor to come out, you won't notice the difference. We're still a while away from the point where 64 bits will be necessary.
  6. ardizzo thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 11, 2006
    the plan

    Sorry if there are other threads regarding this topic, but I couldn't find them right away so i decided to start my own.

    My original plan was to do exactly what was suggested: to buy an refurbed powerbook or ibook and then sell that and upgrade to the macbook when it transitioned to the merom core. Unfortunately, I do not have the financial resources to purchase a powerbook/ibook and a macbook. With regard to this, what do you think the resale value of the existing apple portables will be over the next few months, given the move to intel?
  7. Plecky macrumors regular

    Jun 29, 2005
    Really matters on how huge the updates are and how quickly apps go universal. For example, the G5 iMacs I think will hold there resale value since there speed bump was only "2-3" times but realistically more like 1.1-1.3 times according to MacWorld Mag. For this reason the last generation of iMac G5's will hold there value, and probably more so until things like CS2 and other apps go universal.

    As for laptops, I have a feeling the MacBook Pro will realistically be close to twice as fast (even though they claim 4-5 times faster) then the previous PowerBooks with G4's. This is quite a bigger upgrade so I think the powerbooks will lose their value quicker as more aps go universal because of such a speed difference. iBooks may be a different story altogether though considoring if all they get is a 1.67 core solo, and the last gen has 1.3-1.4 G4's. The G4's will run non-universal aps much better so that'll allow them to hold their resale fairly well until more aps go universal kind of like the iMacs. Personally, had they not released the MacBook Pro but something else like a Mac Mini or MacBook (ibook replacement) I may have just got a refurb. 12" 1.2 Ghz G4 iBook for 700 bucks and waited 6 months for the MacBook Pro (Powerbook replacements). Lucky for me they released the kind of laptop I've been waiting for, in the size I wanted of 15" (although those rumored 13.3" ones are going to be pretty dang sweet if they happen, and if there sub 3-4 pounds and rockin' a core duo I may be portability-envious). The only things that turn me off about the MacBook Pro are 1. Ports that have been taken away, 2. Unknown Battery Life (when is apple ever going to release this number!?!?!), and 3. the recent adobe no-universal-binary-for-CS2 announcement and the wait for CS3 to boot. At first I was a little upset about the downgrade of the SuperDrive but then realized that dual-layer-discs still cost quite a bit, and either may be obsolete when HD-DVD/Blu-ray hits scene. So a future investment will likely be a external burner when the new technology/time comes, but for my needs and for right now - I couldn't ask for much more. Although I will be extremly mad at apple if they get pushed back to March or even later, or if the real-world battery life is worse then the current line of 15" PowerBooks (even with all the Macbook Pro settings down like display and processor intensity). Here's to hoping for 4-hours or more of real world battery life, at least 3 if the settings are Maxed, and actual shipment this Wednesday!:)
  8. capone2 macrumors regular

    Mar 29, 2005
    wait, wait

    the merom is due in in sept, thats what im doing..... dual-core 64bit 2.3-2.5 amazing i cant wait!!

    PB 15" 1.67ghz 1gram
    wht nano 4gb
  9. AJBMatrix macrumors 6502


    Feb 6, 2006
    Athens, Georgia
  10. cnakeitaro macrumors 6502

    Jan 16, 2006
    Virginia Beach
    Didn't that recent article showing the models of Conroe and Merom processors, show that Merom was going to ship at nearly the same clock speeds as Yonah?
  11. T-Stex macrumors 6502

    Jan 15, 2006
    Cite the source please, last I've heard it got pushed back to Q4 or early 2007.
  12. Hodapp macrumors 6502a


    Jul 10, 2003
    New York, NY
    Wait for G5 PowerBooks, Merom is going to be for suckers in comparison.
  13. AJBMatrix macrumors 6502


    Feb 6, 2006
    Athens, Georgia
    Nah, G6 is going to blow that out of the water man.
  14. sw1tcher macrumors 65816


    Jan 6, 2004
    Didn't you hear? They're going to skip the G6 and just go straight to the G7.
  15. generik macrumors 601


    Aug 5, 2005
    Yes, but it is 64 bit and comes with a bigger cache.

    I'm pretty sure it'd come before christmas too :D

    New form factor and new CPU!
  16. teddy07x macrumors member


    Oct 8, 2005
    Mac Bay
    DUDE, do a simple google for Conroe or Merom, you will see ALL over the place they are due in July-September. A logic Macintosh Pro release with Conroe will follow. I have my doubts Mac Mini, Macbook and iMac will get Merom. They'll PROBABLY stick to highspeed Yonah's. While MacBook Pro will get Merom. Merom will be more expensive. Anyway, Merom and Yonah are pin compatible and both are designed for the NAPA platform.

    Get whatever you want now, in about a year when Macbook Pro comes with Merom you can drop in the chip yourself. x86 architecture is much more frankenstein than PPC.

    As for speed change from Yonah to Merom there won't be the biggest difference. The 9xx to conroe will be the biggest switch.

    And another thing, welcome Mac users to a world where updates happen OFTEN!!!!
  17. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502


    May 20, 2006
    Depends. Merom is 64-bit, so, next year (maybe?) when more and more programs/OSs recommend 64-bit chips, the speed change will be very noticible. In current programs, it will be faster, but barely. As for now, the biggest differences would be in power consumption (heat and battery life). Something worth waiting for IMO.
  18. afs_nj macrumors newbie

    Jan 3, 2001
    Let me add this to the mix....

    My situation is a little different. I am beggining a new Job next week (hopefully) at a non-profit org. I will be using Adobe CS2 extensively and probably will not get the chance to upgarde to the universal CS3 version for a VERY LONG time. But of course, I rather buy something new, like the 15" MacBook Pro.

    My question is will the speed difference between the current MacBook Pro and the MBP be worth the wait when it comes to running non-native apps under Rosetta? I also heard that OS 10.4.8 may make a difference in this circumstance.


  19. scott523 macrumors 6502a

    Sep 8, 2006
    St Charles, MO
    At the least, wait for Merom. Then if you can, wait until the end of Q1 2007 for...Leopard? 802.11n? 800MHz FSB on Merom? These are not official but I'm confident they will be released by then.
  20. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    If you need it now, buy it now. You won't be disappointed with the Yonah's performance.
  21. prady16 macrumors 6502


    Aug 24, 2006
    Right There --->
    Why not buy a iMac for now and buy the new MBP with Leopard in Q1 2007? iMac is definitely worth the investment!
  22. Eraserhead macrumors G4


    Nov 3, 2005
    I have just ordered a Macbook now as I need it for Uni next week. (it *should* come Monday.), basically as with all technology wait until you need it before buying.(though I would have got a better deal if I had got my Macbook at the start of September this time...)

Share This Page