Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronni3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Chicago, IL
I already purchased a Mac Pro and want to complete my transition to an all Apple home by making my new mobile purchase of a Macbook, but is it too early to buy, is a new Macbook on the horizon, will I regret my purchase just days after making my purchase?

Also, how reliable are the Macbooks? Has everyone that owns one enjoyed their purchase? How good is the screen?

Look forward to your comments.

Jwalker9

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2006
wait...leopard and santa rosa chipset will be out in the next three months with a new mbp revision.

Samwise592

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2007
Long Island, NY
is it too early to buy, is a new Macbook on the horizon, will I regret my purchase just days after making my purchase?

yes. A new revision is expected around June. probably incorporating the Santa Rosa platform. If you can wait, then do. (Then you'll get leopard and hopefully iLife'07 preinstalled)

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Also the new Intel integrated graphics which should be much better will hopefully be in the new macbooks

Skrilla™

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
Houston
I already purchased a Mac Pro and want to complete my transition to an all Apple home by making my new mobile purchase of a Macbook, but is it too early to buy, is a new Macbook on the horizon, will I regret my purchase just days after making my purchase?

Also, how reliable are the Macbooks? Has everyone that owns one enjoyed their purchase? How good is the screen?

Look forward to your comments.

I was thinking the same thing 2 months ago and purchased one. Love it so far, no problems. Screen is great IMO.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Naw, I'd definitely wait at this point. New hardware is right around the corner. You'll feel terrible paying for an upgrade to Leopard while working on dated hardware if you buy right now instead of waiting a measley few months.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
Naw, I'd definitely wait at this point. New hardware is right around the corner. You'll feel terrible paying for an upgrade to Leopard while working on dated hardware if you buy right now instead of waiting a measley few months.

agree,, that's what im doing..

b1NARY73

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2006
Tacoma WA
I too would wait, I too am currently doing the same thing. But the purchase is not for me...but to convert my wife.... finally.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
yes. A new revision is expected around June. probably incorporating the Santa Rosa platform. If you can wait, then do. (Then you'll get leopard and hopefully iLife'07 preinstalled)

i wouldn't be surprised if new macbooks came out later than june. the first core 2 duo laptops started appearing in early september. c2d macbook pros came out towards the end of october, and macbooks followed in mid november. if a similar trend appears, macbooks might come in july, four months away. if i were itching to buy a macbook, i don't know if i could wait, and i don't know if i'd even want to wait.

phineas

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006
South of the Border I-95
I'd look at it this way,

What does your wallet / budget allow for?

Does the current MacBook "To include the 3 different configurations of Processor and Color" meet your requirements? Everyone either likes more RAM or bigger hd.

What R U going to be using this computer for? or Do you possibly need a MBP instead?

Oh and r u going to play games on the new laptop? If so than you may want to wait for the newer intel chip set, although just how much better is that really going to be for what YOUR going to be doing on it ? Only you can answer that.

HTH
Phineas

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

You should only ever wait if something new is actually announced by Apple. Nobody here on MacRumors knows what Apple is going to do (there may be one or two readers who do know, but you can believe me that they won't tell).

It is very well possible that three months after you buy Apple announces something better. But then it may take another two months until that better thing actually comes out. Then you don't want to be the first one to buy so you wait another three months. Buy that time you are in exactly the same situation as you are now: Something new is around the corner.

You'll keep that MacBook for three years, maybe for six years. In the first six months it will be the latest and greatest. For the rest of its life it won't be the latest and greatest; you'll have to live with that.

ronni3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Chicago, IL

I joined up as a Student Developer, so I will be getting Leopard for free, so I don't expect this to be much of a problem. Do you happen to know how many Macs I would be able to upgrade with that install disk? Could I, say, upgrade the Macbook, if I buy now, and my Mac Pro?

But the purchase is not for me...but to convert my wife.... finally.

Ah, but this is my exact reason for needing to make a purchase now, rather than later. I sold my wife's laptop, actually mine from school, and she wants a new one ASAP. When push comes to shove, you listen to what your wife has to say! Have to keep the boss happy. :D ;)

I'd look at it this way,

What does your wallet / budget allow for?

Does the current MacBook "To include the 3 different configurations of Processor and Color" meet your requirements? Everyone either likes more RAM or bigger hd.

What R U going to be using this computer for? or Do you possibly need a MBP instead?

Oh and r u going to play games on the new laptop? If so than you may want to wait for the newer intel chip set, although just how much better is that really going to be for what YOUR going to be doing on it ? Only you can answer that.

HTH
Phineas

I don't need another powerful machine. I think my Mac Pro is plenty enough for me. I just want to be capable to remotely access my Mac Pro without all the hassle of third party software to circumvent Window issues. It would also be used to watch TV shows, movies, listen to music, look at a few pictures; all anywhere in the home. No more being tied down to my desktop!

You should only ever wait if something new is actually announced by Apple. Nobody here on MacRumors knows what Apple is going to do (there may be one or two readers who do know, but you can believe me that they won't tell).

It is very well possible that three months after you buy Apple announces something better. But then it may take another two months until that better thing actually comes out. Then you don't want to be the first one to buy so you wait another three months. Buy that time you are in exactly the same situation as you are now: Something new is around the corner.

You'll keep that MacBook for three years, maybe for six years. In the first six months it will be the latest and greatest. For the rest of its life it won't be the latest and greatest; you'll have to live with that.

I am more than comfortable of having an older or outdated machine, as long as it is still capable of running. Honestly, now that these machines have gone dual core, and the Mac Pro I have a quad, I can foresee these machines lasting much longer than the old Pentiums of yesteryear.

I also love that Macs retain their value for quite some time, unlike PC's. :D

:apple:

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
I think since the current MacBooks have ben out for so long now, they have few problems. When updated, they will have A LOT more than they do now. That's why I bought one last week!

zabeth24

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2007
How do you join as a Student Developer? I'm currently working in the Software Development industry and really want to get a Macbook. Thing is, I don't want to have to buy Leopard when it comes out so I am waiting. The idea that I could get it for free is very intriguing . . .

ronni3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Chicago, IL
You will need to prove that you are a student. They require that you send them by email or fax a copy of your current schedule and a copy of your student I.D.

It is only worth it if you make a large purchase, since you are given 20% off your purchase, but as a Student Developer you can only use this once in a lifetime, so choose wisely.

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
Wait 'till Santa Rosa and Leopard, if you can wait. If you need it now, then buy it now. They're still good machines. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.