Buy a Macbook...Or should I wait?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by GreekMac, Jun 17, 2006.

  1. GreekMac macrumors newbie

    GreekMac

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #1
    I currently own a Powerbook at 1.67ghz, but lately every time I see the spinning rainbow and my cpu monitor go to 100%. Then I begin to contemplate buying myself one of the new ones.
    What do you think should I be patient and wait for something better?
     
  2. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

    twistedlegato

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2006
    #2

    Dude..there are lots of threads already on this topic and i am sick of seeing them....learn to use the search function before you make a thread please!!!:rolleyes:
     
  3. arcobb macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Location:
    Colorado
    #3
    I was in your shoes. I had a 1.67ghz powerbook and I got a macbook. Number one I love having a bright screen that I don't say "gee... this screen seems kinda dark" all the time. Just for this reason it is a worth while upgrade. Since getting the MacBook I keep saying "gosh, I love this computer, it's perfect!" I forked over the extra cash for the Black... I like it... over all it seems more grown up then the white version... dare I say more grown up then the silver Powerbook/MB Pro. I'm listing my PowerBook on ebay with no regrets at all! The only thing I would say is max out the ram... makes big difference in rosetta apps... Since doing so I notice to wait or dreadded beach ball at all! Even photoshop acts the way it should!
     
  4. Bern macrumors 68000

    Bern

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2004
    Location:
    Australia
    #4
    I replaced my 12" 1.5Ghz Powerbook with a white 2Ghz MacBook and I'm very happy. I installed 2GB of ram and it flies.

    The screen is much better, it boots and runs apps better, it looks great. I say get it now you won't regret it.
     
  5. wako macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2005
    #5


    ROFL.... you joined two days ago and you are already sick of them? lol
     
  6. GreekMac thread starter macrumors newbie

    GreekMac

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #6
    I think I'll try and max out the ram, and see what happens before I cough up the cash for a Macbook
    Thanks for the tip...
     
  7. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

    twistedlegato

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2006
    #7

    Hahah yup..thats right....its just that you see them soo much when you look through the threads.....Macbook upgrades soon? When are the macbook upgrades? Should i wait for the macbooks upgrade?
    Plus many more...

    im sorry but thats just to much:( :D
     
  8. GreekMac thread starter macrumors newbie

    GreekMac

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #8
    Hey "dude" quit making fun of my thread :p. I'm having enough problems dealing with this already :(...
    And I do know how to use the search function...I just wanted my thread on the first page...

    Peacefully GreekMac..
     
  9. arcobb macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Location:
    Colorado
    #9
    No Problem GreekMac. I got my memory from Omni Technologies. They were the cheapest I found... but that is not the reason I purchased from them. When I called them I talked to a real person right off the bat and they were super helpful and they have a good return policy. The link I provided says it is ram for the MBP, but the MB used the same stuff.

    So far the memory I've installed is working without a glitch. The only thing is when you install it you have to push it in really, really hard to make it click in, the guy on the phone said they were finding this was the case for most people. I cost me about $155 to max out the memory... a far cry from the $500 apple is charging (highway robbery!). Hope this helps!
     
  10. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

    mgargan1

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2003
    Location:
    Reston, VA
    #10
    I have a 12" 1.33GHz 12" powerbook, and I was actually in line at the apple store to get the new macbook. I had been debating on whether or not to wait until the merom processor comes out. Well, the line was too long and it made me think twice. I don't NEED a new computer right now, I just want one. Yea, this computer is kinda sluggish, but i have 512MB of RAM of it. Why should I add more money into it knowing that in a couple months I'll be buying a new computer anyway. So, I'm sticking with my current computer.

    Besides, I'd rather wait until Leopard comes with it and save myself $130 anyways. This'll let apple debug the 1st gen bugs. Plus, the merom processor is supposed to be badass!!!
     
  11. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

    xfiftyfour

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2006
    Location:
    Clemson, SC
    #11
    i'm with most of the others. i have a 1.67 ghz, 1 gb ram PB and when the new intels came out, i *very* much wanted to sell this and get a new one..buuuut, i finally realized that would be silly because 1) i don't want a rev a product, 2) merom will be out soon enough, 3) i don't actually *need* the new laptop, 4) photoshop will run faster on this than on the new intels until CS3 comes out anyway, and 5) want to wait for leopard.

    i think you should save your money and be patient - you certainly don't need a new laptop yet, so give it 6 months/year and see what's out then.. i bet you'll be glad you did! :)
     
  12. GreekMac thread starter macrumors newbie

    GreekMac

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #12
    I checked out omni teechnologies and they look trust worthy to me,
    i think i'll try them out arcobb.
    Thanks ;)
     
  13. GreekMac thread starter macrumors newbie

    GreekMac

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #13
    You're absolutely right!
    I am going to wait..but in the mean time I'm just going to upgrade my RAM..
    Thanks xfiftyfour ;)
     
  14. arcobb macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Location:
    Colorado
    #14
    Those were my thoughts initially... and I'm sure apple will have something cool out in 6 months... but I always hated my old laptop. Right now the MacBook is my only computer. I am saving up for a Desktop... for that I'm waiting until bluray hits the Imac... by the time that happens I'm sure apple will have some übber cool computers out. Until then the MacBook is the best Mac I've ever owned. I'm way happy and for me worth the getting the Rev A version. The Core Duo is a galatic leap ahead of the G4 and some argue the G5. I guess in my mind the MacBook is a Rev B to the MacBook Pro... To date I have not experiance any of the issue with it (I also ordered it with a BTO 100 gig harddrive so it came from the factory. I wonder if mine has had some of the issues already fixed? Crossing fingers ;) ) Anyway I'm off to enjoy some sun!
     
  15. skubish macrumors 68030

    skubish

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2005
    Location:
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    #15
    I will give the standard advice for this.
    If you need a computer buy it, if you can wait then wait.
     
  16. qool macrumors newbie

    qool

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2006
    Location:
    Alpha Centauri
    #16
    I second to that. Also, if you can't stop thinking about it, just get it!
    I did, and I love it!! :D
     

Share This Page