Buy a powerbook now or later?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by BlizzardWolf, Oct 20, 2005.

1. BlizzardWolf macrumors member

I'm a junior in high school and going off to college in about a year and a half.... I'm saving up for a Powerbook for college... But, should I buy the updated Powerbook now?

Or should I wait and get the Intel based Powerbook probably in a year?

I hope that the Intel based Powerbook isn't around $3000 since I can only afford a notebook that's around $2000. Will PowerBooks ever get cheaper?

2. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

You probably won't need anything more than the iBook, especially during your first year or so of college, since you will most likely only be taking general courses. My suggestion would be go for the iBook. But who knows what could change in a year?

EDIT: Definitely don't buy any laptop, and especially not the PowerBook, now.

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Wait unless you need one now, in which case get an iBook instead.

4. Lucky8 macrumors regular

Lucky8

I really dont think the PowerBooks will get cheaper by going Intel because it's still going to be an Apple, not cheap PC.
    Anyway, if you don't need one now, you should wait until Mactel but if you going to need it soon, I would jump on the last PPC Powerbook which I think it's the current version.
    But an iBook is the best bang for your money right now IMHO.

5. BlizzardWolf thread starter macrumors member

Is Mactel the Intel powerbook? Are you sure that Powerbook will be intel based?

6. generik macrumors 601

generik

I really do suspect there is basis for this talk that PBs and PMs will transition to Intel last, and perhaps that's the reason why PBs did not see a CPU upgrade.. Steve is holding the goodies back to tide the PBs over :)

If you need a mac now, just buy an iBook, insanely good value for its price.

If not, heck, at least wait a few months..

If you have money to burn, just buy now, and ebay it later

7. BlizzardWolf thread starter macrumors member

I do a lot of photoshop ,video editing and muiltitasking, will the iBook be enough for me?

8. generik macrumors 601

generik

Do you really need the portability?

Anyway... don't be misled by Apple's marketing. The powerbook is at best only 10+% faster than the iBook (Mhz wise). Real world performance increases will be more.. marginal as to be expected.

The iBook makes one hell of a computer currently.. and if you don't *really* need the portability the iMac is really one great steal of a deal.

9. risc macrumors 68030

risc

If you don't need the notebook for a year and a half wait a year and a half and buy it, you'll have a heap more cash, and the Intel based PowerBooks should be out by then. If you are looking for a new computer now IMHO the nicest machine Apple have (taking in to account hardware, and value added software) is probably the new iMac G5.

BTW I for 1 don't have this the PowerBook sucks mentality that seems to be on this forum. I have a Rev C 15" G4 1.67 GHz and the machine is comparable to my GFs iMac G5 17" 1.67 GHz in every respect, it isn't as fast as my dual G5 Power Mac but who would really expect it to be? So the new PowerBooks are the same speed, if you look at the extras they've included they are great computers. Maybe a bit pricey, but this is Apple anyone who complains about Apples pricing is just having a rant and needs to face reality.

So if you do need a notebook now I'd recommend the current PowerBooks over the iBooks in a second, but since you are a student maybe battery life is more important than overall speed, and in that case the iBook is a much better notebook.

10. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I think having a laptop is a wise investment for uni. Therefore I say buy a laptop and like others have said the iBook will suffice for your needs. Don't even bother waiting for the Intel Powerbooks as while they would be nice, the current line of G4 processors in the Apple notebook range are not crippled and *that* slow. It will continue to perform and be supported for a good 4-6 years I believe. Remember that future applications will be built to work on current generation processors and the new Intel chips.

11. BlizzardWolf thread starter macrumors member

I shouldn't bother waiting for the Intel Powerbook? why not?

12. risc macrumors 68030

risc

BlizzardWolf the only question is do you want it now? If you do buy it, if not there is always going to be something nicer at the next upgrade. Personally I'd wait for the 2nd revision of the Intel Macs at least, but I'm paranoid. ;)

All of the current G4 and G5 machines have been revised so many times that most people would call them perfect I think.

13. generik macrumors 601

generik

Personally I don't have that much faith in Intel..

Let's look at the Pentium 4 and their "Netburst" technology, whatever that means. When it does come out it will probably be just.. another CPU.. no big deal.

What I do look forward to in the Mactels is the lower power consumption, and mainly virtualisation.. which will allow you to run Windows emulated at very close to full speed.

That alone is the deal maker for me.

Dual core is nice too.

Oh, and of course Darwine..

Transition over then will be so much more painless :)

14. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I disagree, I believe the PB will get cheaper with the Intel chip as Intel either integrates most of the components on the mobo.

It will be cheaper, but not that much cheaper. :)

15. super mini (mac macrumors regular

i think you will be better with a g4/g5 product instead of waitng for an intel, intels are windows based not unix/mac based, and they are realy made for getting windows users more into macs, id buy the g4 poerbook pref a refurb unit. but your stuck with choice, or get the new 15 inch, ts taken my fancy over the old 17inch so im going for that. also i think the new intel chip macs wont keep the famouse re-sell price where as g4 chips will.

if your going to buy an intel buy a windows,

16. maya macrumors 68040

maya

If you have the money I would buy either the 15 or 17" PB, if not stick with the 12" iBook and save up for better things down the road. :)

The chip speed seems to have been halted, not sure if it will even see another bump in 2006. This update brings back negative memories when I bought my PB G3 and a month later there was a HD, memory and other little updates. :(

The Ti PB G4 followed in January. My Pismo still works in great condition, however I might use it as a internet access terminal. :)

17. risc macrumors 68030

risc

What the hell are you talking about? What does a CPU have to do with what OS you run? Just ask the millions of *BSD/Linux users on x86 hardware!

18. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Solaris, AIX and Linux have been running on Intels for years.

19. BlizzardWolf thread starter macrumors member

I really don't need a Powerbook right at this moment, but I'd like one... :D

Anyways, I'm a windows user and never used a mac before.... The design, sleekness and lightness of the Powerbook really intrigues me... i hope there are some intel notebooks that have as good designs as the powerbook in the future...

20. super mini (mac macrumors regular

sorry i wasnt to clear,

what i meant was, intel chips are renound (please check spelling lol) for being used in wondows machines and are not as good as amd or ibm chips

but thanks for paying attention :eek:

21. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Like is enough reason to buy 1 if you can afford it. If you bought 1 of the current PowerBooks you would be very happy, as you pointed out the screen is better than the iBook, the 15" you are looking at has great resolution now and would be very nice for your use of Photoshop and video editing. The PowerBook also has FW800 support so if you ever need to get an external HDD for your computer the PowerBook has the iBook beat again.

I say go for it, you'll be more than happy!

Welcome to the cult. ;)

22. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Yeah that is why most servers run Intel CPUs. :rolleyes:

23. super mini (mac macrumors regular

but with the intel chips being piss poor compaired to amd, why didnt they let amd have the monopoly on this instead of intel, apple have a good name i dont want intel to spoil this

24. risc macrumors 68030

risc

If you don't mind telling me which AMD CPU would be better for the notebooks than any Intel offering? Also on what planet can AMD deliver CPUs at the speed Intel can? Also have you even heard of the Woodcrest?

25. djkny macrumors 6502