Buy a PowerMac G5 or wait until next year?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by robcts, Sep 11, 2005.

  1. robcts macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2005
    #1
    I was planning on purchasing a PowerMac G5 but am not sure if I should wait or not. I know the Intel processors will be coming, just not sure when. What would you do? :)
     
  2. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

    EvilDoc

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2005
    Location:
    Circumventing the multi-verse...
    #2

    i wouldnt wait, i would buy now. no real reason to wait. the first mactels will have bugs and i dont think i could personaly wait untill rev B. just buy it now or you could just give me the money ;)
     
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #3
    With computers, there's rarely any point in waiting too long for a new machine because their rate of replacement is so high that whatever you get will be outdated sooner than you like.

    Get a Power Mac now and be happy with it's massive performance. Alternatively, you could get a mini (Apple's disposable Mac) which would save you lots of money and then replace it with an Intel Power Mac further down the track. :)
     
  4. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #4
    I'd say wait to see what happens at Paris Expo in 2 weeks, then buy.

    It might help us to know what you're running now too.

    Generally speaking, the majority of seasoned users here will buy up the PPC MACS and hold out for a few years to see what happens to the Crash Test Dummies buying the first Intel based machines.

    We're also none too thrilled with the idea of Intel's Trusted Computing Module.
     
  5. FF_productions macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #5
    I'd wait for some possible powermac updates this month. If that doesn't happen, just buy a powermac. It's going to take a while until Apple delivers a INTEL powermac (2007). Don't wait it out, if you really want it, get it.
     
  6. Xephian macrumors 6502a

    Xephian

    Joined:
    May 2, 2005
    Location:
    United States
    #6
    I might get one too. After the Paris Expo I will decide.
     
  7. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #7
    As has been said, wait till after the upcoming Paris Expo (just to be safe). Then go and buy a Power Mac G5 (updated or from the current lineup). They are awesome computers, I absolutely love mine. :)
     
  8. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2004
    Location:
    Australia
    #8
    Yeah, good avice, I'll probably do that too.
    Hopefully they can put out some dual core stuff... mmm...
     
  9. Euan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #9
    Yep, I'd say wait until at least the Expo (unless you need it before) and after that then decide which product you want.

    As many have said, the first Intel models are likely to have a few teething issues.
     
  10. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

    Maxiseller

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Location:
    Little grey, chilly island.
    #10
    I say buy now - Steve already said that the high end wouldn't be getting the Intels until 2007 (when the transition is complete).

    There will always be somthing bigger and better around the corner - but why not begin enjoying it today while you can?
     
  11. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    #11
    Playing the waiting game is very bad. If you need it get it. Not all the software is gonna use the power of the intel chip when Mactels come out. Wait til expo and then buy at that time. I am in the same situation as you and I choose to wait til 2007 since getting a PBG5 as senior in high school might be a bad idea.
     
  12. krafix macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2002
    Location:
    Montreal, Canada
    #12
    My endless (useless) waiting game

    When Steve said "3gz is down the road", I decided when they get there, I'm buying the system of my dreams! So I've been waiting for ever. Every MW, WWDC, Expos, special events,... with no 3gz on the horizon. And all this time, I got les and less productive as my freelance graphic jobs got more complicated and CPU intensive. Still work fine on my G4 (late 2001), but it IS getting old. So now, Paris Expo is the last I'll be waiting for. It's a strange mixed feeling to have waited sooooo long to finally get a G5 that came out months ago, although it's as nice and powerful as it can be. Anyone really thinks there really could be a tiny update in Paris at least, just to make my ever lasting wait finally not seem useless so much?
     
  13. FF_productions macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #13
    i watched the wwdc 2005 video again recently, and steve jobs said "we promised a 3ghz powermac, we haven't been able to deliver that YET" "I know you'd all like a g5 in your powerbooks, we haven't been able to deliver that YET" Could there possibly be a dual 3 ghz in the pipeline, after such a long wait?? I'm aware dual cores may come out, but could that be released as well?
     
  14. lopresmb macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2005
    #14
    you may be waiting a while for an updated powermac, they are some pretty stinking fast machines right now. It's just all around a great machine, Intel chips or not
     
  15. robcts thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2005
    #15
    Thanks guys.

    I really didn't plan on getting the PowerMac G5 until around December. I'll see what happens at the Paris Expo next week as well. I hope they don't come out with the Intel based ones and switch over before December, as I don't want to be a "lab rat" for the first generation batch :)
     
  16. camomac macrumors 6502a

    camomac

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2005
    Location:
    Left Coast
    #16
    VERY doubtful this will happen... 2007
     
  17. After G macrumors 68000

    After G

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #17
    Buy now. Either way, your machine will be ridiculously fast for quite a while.

    Even if a faster machine comes out, it doesn't make your machine any slower.

    I usually buy a new computer only when my current hardware is slowing me down, PC or Mac.
     
  18. Bob_Barker macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2004
    Location:
    Gainesville, FL
    #18
    I agree. Buy now if you have an imminent need. Waiting until after the Paris Expo sounds smart, but I wouldn't be worried about the whole intel transition for the time being.
     
  19. krafix macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2002
    Location:
    Montreal, Canada
    #19
    I read here and there the PowerMacs might as well be the last to switch to intel, which is understandable since the consumers are less subject to have a whole bunch of stuff to switch to intel at the same time, opposite to pros.
     
  20. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

    andiwm2003

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2004
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #20
    i wait for the next revision of the powermac. i expect it to be in the next two month or so. then i'll buy a dual g5 2.3 ghz or similar. depending what the next revision is. i don't expect major advances in the powermac line in terms of speed.
    i want to stay PPC to make sure my software will run fine. i also don't want to be beta tester for the first intels.

    my two cents.
     

Share This Page