Buy a ROKR or Sony Ericsson S710?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by berkleeboy210, Sep 10, 2005.

1. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

In the Market for a New Phone, Debating between the two. I've heard conflicting reports, Can you use Itunes as Ringers for Calls, and will it work with iSync via Bluetooth?

If those two answers are yes, then I'll probably buy the ROKR. If not then it's the Sony.

Any Help is Greatly Appreciated.

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I'm having the same dilemma. At this time, I am leaning towards the s710 (Mostly because of the OS. I have heard the motorola OS sucks! And the s710 looks so damn good too...). I'm due for an upgrade in two weeks, so we'll see what happens!

3. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm looking at them on eBay right now. I'm also now leaning more and more towards the sony. I would go through Cingular, but they charge me $150 for a deposit b/c I'm a 19yo with no credit history.

I just swap sim cards, and sell my old phone on eBay.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Forget the ROKR - at least this first-gen one. Soon, Moto will announce versions with more song capacity, and Cingular will allow over-the-air downloads, which might or might not work with this early ROKR. Buy a sexy phone and get a nano; use double-sided tape, and you're golden! ;)

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Really? That'll work? Cingular won't even know I have a new phone, will they? I had no idea you could just pop in the SIM card.

6. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

I've done it SEVERAL times, and it's worked like a Charm. They'll never know.

7. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

Bidding on the Sony now, and eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Black Nano to match it. Damn DHL, I ordered last night and paid for Saturday Delivery, but it won't be here till Monday :(

Look's like I'll have to start off my Semester Monday, without an iPod :(

8. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

i actually think the OS is great, its just that the processor is ridiculously slow and everything has at least a 2 second delay to it.

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I'll have to test drive it before I make my final decision. I used the virtual s710 on sony ericsson's site and it was very simple to use. I don't know how much better the motorola OS could be, especially given the bad remarks about it, but I will try it out.

10. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I have the S700 (uk verson of S710) and i think it is the best phone around. The OS is fantastic!

11. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I agree I love the Motorola OS, but it's slow. I wasn't that impressed with the Rokr, so I would go with the S710. I think the Motorola phone is overpriced for what you get. I'll take an iPod and a cell phone over the Rokr any day.

12. nanc macrumors member

i have the s710 and i love it. i would not trade it for any other

13. superfula macrumors 6502

I hope you like massive phones, because the S710 is pretty big. I'm not a big fan of the Motorola os (SE does it much better), but I prefer a smaller phone over a better os.

14. nanc macrumors member

everyone thinks that the 710 is big but it really isn't for what your getting. an amzing screen. one of the best video phones on the market. music, internet i love this phone

15. wako macrumors 65816

ROKR is over rated. Its a phone with just a speaker and a usb hook up so it can sync with itunes. The original phone (without the upgraded speaker and usb hook up) was retired long ago. Why buy an old phone for so much?

I would definately choose the Sony one. It has much more capabilities than that of the ROKR.

16. Lucky8 macrumors regular

Lucky8

What about Sony Ericsson W800?
    I think I am ditching the ROKR and going with the W800.
    Wonder if it syncs with iTunes?

17. Toreador93 macrumors regular

I have the SE S710a. I like it for the most part (the OS is very intuitive, and most needed features require minimal steps), but would probably change some things about it if I could, including:

-Make it a tad thinner and lighter
    -Put a faster processor in it (little over 1 second delay in key press to action)
    -Drop the proprietary headphone jack
    -Make the microphone less sensitive (my girlfriend always complains of horrible piercing noises, whether I'm running water or setting down some change)
    -Be able to watch movies in wide-screen mode. It has such a BEAUTIFUL SCREEN (2.3", 320x240 px), and can play movies, why not take advantage of it? (People have fit 90min movies on it, just not wide-screen).

Also remember the S710 takes Memory Stick Duo cards, not Pro Duo, so you're limited to 128mb for songs/pics/movies.

However, I'd totally go with the S710 before the ROKR. I just haven't heard many good things about it. I'd look at some of Sony Ericsson's other phones if you don't want the S710. Unfortunately, some of their best phones only work on European networks.

18. native00 macrumors regular

native00

I can hardly agree that the ROKR is overrated, as every review has bashed it for its limitations. Yeah, it came out with a lot of hype, but not highly rated.

As for the OS; its mostly the same as any other motorola, so that makes it easy to navigate the menus if you've previously had a motorola. The delay is only 2 seconds if you're playing a song through itunes. I agree thats annoying as all hell and I'm desperately hoping there will be an update. You cannot use your iTunes songs as ringtones, but you can easily make your own custom ringtones on your mac and send them to the phone via Bluetooth. Not sure if it works with iSync, though as I dont use it.

Now, if you're a person who is really into phones, then the ROKR will definitely disappoint you. However, if you're just ready for a new phone that can hold 100 songs and has an easy to navigate menu, then give it a try.

19. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

the ROKR is one of the ugliest phones in the market...get the w800 , or get a ipod nano and a razon v3!

20. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Why get either when you could have a nokia 6682 or audiovox 5600 for the money. (Go to amazon, or letstalk.com for good rebates). Those are smart phones, you can play games, mp3s, movies anything you want on them.

EDIT: Oh and the 5600 is as light as the RAZR, but 100times more functional.

21. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I'm not into phones all that much but I've just moved from a Nokia 6600 to the Sony Ericsson K750i. I cannot explain how much I love this phone. The camera is fantastic and the general look/feel is just superb.

I had a Motorola V3 for about 2 weeks. I don't understand what people like about motorola phones ... the interface just stinks. The V3 LOOKS awesome but no way could I use it for hours a day. I'd go cuckoo.

I highly recommend Sony Ericsson. :)

22. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

23. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

S710a beacuse Moto GUI sucks and atlease you can play videos on a S710 and the camera is really sweet. Im gonna get a S710a after I kill my prepaid plan in a couple of months.

24. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

a bit off topic, but:

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/itunes-on-sony-ericsson-126446.php

thats for pc - for mac, apparently you can simply mount the w800i to your desktop and drag mp4s to a folder in the phone to put it in the play que. if you search google - someone had figured it out.