buy a xbox360 or Wii? need MR opinions :)

Discussion in 'Games' started by charlestrippy, Nov 20, 2006.

1. charlestrippy macrumors 6502

May 29, 2006
    Tampa, Florida
    So I'd like to buy one of this generations consoles -

I dont have much interested in PS3, however- i'd like opinions of MR's duders on here on if I should get a 360 or go with the Wii?

opinions? :D
  2. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    xbox360 is what i'v got now , but the wii looks fun , the mrs would love them games :)

IMO i do not consider the wii to be on par with the 360 or ps3 but it's a fun console for people who just want to have fun :)

depends alot on what type of gamer you are ? i can not see me playing COD3 on the wii - all that waving around , someone's gonna get hurt :D ie mee
  3. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    Wii...I think Nintendo really did right by it. I liked Gamecube, but I know I was in the minority(maybe not on MR), I think the Wii is going to hit it big.

Honestly the Wii is tons of fun, very refreshing...will I was camping for it i thought about if it would live up to the hype, and right before my friend and I unboxed his, he turned to me and said "What if it sucks? I mean what if its no fun?

I can say after a day of owning it, it over the hype(so far)
  4. huck500 macrumors 6502

May 10, 2004
    Southern California
    One thing to consider is that the 360 is Mac compatible (with Connect360), meaning you can listen to your non-drm iTunes music with it, look at iPhoto pictures, and watch WMV (hopefully other formats soon). I use it for that about as much as I use it for playing games. Maybe the Wii can do that as well, I don't know.

Other considerations:

Do you want to stand up and wave your controller to play? I like to kick back and relax, and maybe occasionally play some Guitar Hero.

It's hard to imagine anything being better than Live, if you like to play with your friends online. I guess you should also take into account what systems your friends have.

If you like to have people over and play party games, I think the Wii is the way to go.
  5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

Jul 10, 2005
    Rocketing through the sky!
    If you can afford it I would say a 360. The Wii is fun but it doesnt have much out for it, since it just launched, and 360 has a good library which is getting better every money. HD, XBL, Music, Movies, etc make it a pretty cool system.
  6. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    London Town
    I'm kinda in the same predicament at the moment (I'm gonna be working over Xmas, so I have to decide which console I'm gonna buy with my hard earned cash).

I think I've pretty much sided with the 360 for now. Sure, the Wii looks fun, but at the moment it's only got one game that will grab my attention for a significant period of time: Zelda. Sure the Wii is fun, and it'd be great to get my girlfriend into gaming (beyond the odd bout of Fifa) as well as when you have a group of people round, but thanks to horrendous renting prices in London, the room I'm living in at the moment can barely fit more than one person in, nevermind two people throwing Wii-motes around :eek: , so that's not really the experience I'm looking for.

Perhaps in the summer, or next Xmas, when a few more must-have games have been released, I'm bound to pick up a Wii. But at the moment, I'm finding it hard to justify buying one for just one game. Also, in a few months time there may even be a price drop (or they might do the decent thing and include component cables in-box).
  7. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2006
    USA, KS
    Depends on what you like. The Virtual Console and GameCube support are big bonuses to me.

The GameCube has a lot more good games then the Xbox did, and I'd say it also has better games then the 360 at this point to. GoW is definitely good though, as is Oblivion.

Comparing the "total library" for each system is your best bet to find out what you want, the GCN library is huge because of VC/GameCube, but 360 definitely has some great new content as well, a lot of which is yet to come out.

I guess I'm one of those people Peter Moore talked about, as I will have a 360 and Wii, but no PS3.
  8. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2006
    Fenton, MO
    I bought a 360 with what was my Wii money two weeks ago and I couldn't be happier. Gears of War is phenominal.

If you have an HDTV and like the technology then by all means get a 360.

Me personally - I think the jury's still out on the Wii and will be for another year. They've got a lot of ideas with the system, and many games now that take advantage of things. But I want to see how far in they go in the next year with those ideas and whether or not there will still be fresh ideas or just recycled ones. Granted, Nintendo is pretty solid with all of their ideas, but let's see those third party developers keep up the work instead of just releasing halfassed ports with tacked on Wii controls.

I may get a Wii next year...but again...I think it's a safe bet to wait on it right now. 360 has a year behind it and a solid upcoming lineup of games with some good exclusives. Wii is more of a wild card right now, but the 360 is a pair of aces at this point in the game.
  9. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

Mar 6, 2006
    If you like Nintendo games, get the Wii.

If you like games with great graphics, great online experience get an Xbox 360.
  10. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    If you like both. ;)
  11. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    London Town
    If you like both, buy a 360 and install an emulator on your Mac ;)
  12. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Sep 14, 2003
    I'd recommend the Wii. Personally I thought that the last gen (PS2, Xbox, GC) was pretty awful. I haven't really seen any reason to buy any console since the N64 until playing my friend's Wii. I feel like with the other systems the only games they offer are games I've essentially already played. The Wii is completely different and new, and most importantly, a LOT of fun. This is coming from someone who was ready to give up on consoles.
  13. UnclePaulie macrumors member

Apr 6, 2004
    LA, CA
    I have been a Nintendo Fanboy all my life (SMB 3 is probably my favorite game), and I felt like I was missing out playing Gamecube while everyone else had a PS2. So instead of sticking with Nintendo, I went ahead and bought the 360. The genre of games is totally different (Saints Row, Oblivion, Call of Duty - i know this one is on Wii but it's just not the same), and I was amazed at how visually stunning and well done these games are. Maybe later on when I have some more cash I'd add a Wii, but go with the 360 for now.
  14. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
  15. oceanstar macrumors newbie

Nov 20, 2006
    definitl;y wii no question but id wait a little
  16. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2006
    360 baby. If your into 3D shooting games in particular, 360 is your system. There are heaps of fun sports games on the 360 too plus the arcade rocks.
  17. ericsthename macrumors regular

Apr 13, 2005
    Vancouver BC
    I'd hafta say the smart buy right now is a 360. The Wii will be a smarter buy after the christmas rush, and once games like mario and super smash bros come out.
  18. savar macrumors 68000

Jun 6, 2003
    District of Columbia
    I've not played a Wii -- who has at this point? -- but I like the 360 a lot. If you have an HDTV then that's a really good reason to get a 360. The online play is really nicely done, and the "dashboard" interface is surprisingly easy and useful.
  19. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2006
    Yes *thumbsup emoticon*
  20. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2005
    Queens, NYC
    Gotta be blunt here -- they're such incredibly different systems, so I really don't see the point of asking all of us. I feel like you're asking whether you should like apples better or oranges.

Personally, I'd settle the debate by asking yourself this: Zelda with Wiimote, or Gears of War?
  21. ericsthename macrumors regular

Apr 13, 2005
    Vancouver BC
    lets put it this way, right now i'm streaming my iTunes playlist to my 360, playing project gotham racing with the wireless racing wheel (not entirely wireless, because it has to be plugged in for force feedback) alternating turns with my brother.

Its fun!
  22. wako macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    I have had a Xbox360 since launch date and a Wii since... well yesterday...

To be honest, I think the Wii is great. The controller scheme is better then I had thought and is wonderful. Definitely a very innovative console. Problem is, what games are there?! There arent any killer games other then Zelda. If you are a Zelda fanatic, you will love it. If you arent like myself, you are stuck with just... WiiSports.

Some of you might argue with me that there are 34 games out there! How could there be no games?! Well, true there is 34 games, but most of the games, like CoD3 and many others are games that are available for the PS3 and Xbox. What is the point of getting a game for the Wii that will look like crap compared to its counterpart?

I was going to get RedSteel, however there are TONS of reviews that says the controls are terrible. I have played some of it at a store and truth be told... IT IS TERRIBLE. That was the only game I super excited and it fell flat on its face because Nintendo obviously rushed them. I heard monkey balls is really fun, however I think Im kind of old for any title that starts with... monkey...

I say get the Xbox360. There are now a ton of games out there for that system. Gears of War is... sorry children, but its the honest truth, ****ING AWESOME. Oblivion is another great game to get and a GREAT substitute for Zelda if you really have an urge for an RPG. CoD3 is a great game, and once you see it on HD on the 360, you will understand why it would be blaspheme to get it on the Wii. CoD3 also has a great multiplayer too! But for Multiplayer I must say Gears of War has the best. There is no better satisfaction then sneaking up to a guy and then chainsaw him to little jiblets!

Good Luck
  23. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

Feb 12, 2006
    Most apple computer people are nintendo fans so most people will say the Wii. I say buy both if you can. if not then see which system has or will have the games your most into. My 360 online is great, so much fun. I will wait to buy the Wii until I play all my 360 games first. i still have 400 hours to go with Oblivion.
  24. HRH macrumors newbie

Nov 20, 2006
  25. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

Apr 7, 2006
    noun. a particular place or position
    i think i would have to say 360, even though i'm more likely to get a wii. if money had nothing to do with it, i would go with the 360.