Buy airport express now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Paskell, Feb 24, 2013.

1. macrumors member

I need a new router now myn is a d-link 655 and it is failing as I have had it for about 3 years an its range seems to be getting worse.. Somehow I have tried everything to fix it anyways I have a Mac mini. Mbp and iPhone so I would like an extreme but is it worth it to get it now or will the new version with 801 Ac come out soon don't want to blow 179 on something just for it to not be top notch in 2 months..

2. macrumors 6502

Go for it.

I've had my Airport Express for years now. Although it's been updated a bit the basic functionality hasn't changed and I can't see that it's going to any time soon.

Check the refurb section of the Apple website. They have them at cheaper prices there.

3. macrumors 65816

So you want an express or extreme?? (it says express in the title but your talking about extreme)

express: get it, they were updated not that long ago

4. thread starter macrumors member

Extreme sorry I get the names mixed up. Express won't have enough range for me

5. macrumors 65816

Allright, no problem.

Cant help you there :D Don't know anything about the extreme, sorry

6. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

I don't see a new Apple router until they move to 802.11ac like you mentioned. I don't that will happen until they release some client devices with 802.11ac... like MacBooks. So if I was going to guess, I would say maybe 802.11ac will be included on the new Haswell chipset MacBooks around June/July, with new 802.11ac routers to match. JMO

7. macrumors 68000

phrehdd

There has been mention in articles that Apple is on board with going to Wireless N/AC. When will this all materialize - your guess is as good as mine.

I am unsure why you insist on wanting an AE router. I have two of them (older and newer) and gladly changed over to another brand that happened to have 7 ethernet ports built in. This served my needs but it seems you have slightly different needs.

If you go to SmallNetBuilder site, you can see a comparison of various wireless routers and their suggested price (plus some real world prices). This would be a good way to go and you will notice that the AE does "okay" but is no where near the top of the line in wireless ability. Btw, I too had a Dlink 655 that I used for many many years. It was better able to handle some security challenges that the AE simply was inadequate or rather, dumbed down.

In short, get a good Wireless N router and don't get married to the AE as an option. If you find later that there is a good AC router out there, consider using your first purchase as an access point / bridge so that nothing is wasted.

8. macrumors newbie

My Latest Experience

Up until the current upgrade to 7.6.3. I had almost daily dropouts from my express systems. Our home is 2200 sq. feet and with wall, chimney etc. I would only received about 2 units unless indoors.

After the software upgrade the units run flawlessly ( being one extreme and 2 express).

For me one thing that was not clear was downloading the software does NOT install it. You must open Air Port Utility and click on the individual items, where you will find a button that tells you to update. Once complete you must restart your computer. After that you are in the land of milk and honey.

I now receive 3 bars on all units all the time. Best of luck.

9. thread starter macrumors member

Bought it today an it's running flawlessly my old router would only put out 20mbs and my limit is 40mbs.. Extreme was putting out 39.2 on average today. Big big improvement and the range is far greater