Buy an iBook now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yoshi31, Sep 15, 2004.

  1. yoshi31 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2004
    Location:
    Auckland
    #1
    I am thinking about buying a 12'' iBook, looked at MacRumor's Buyer's Guide and saw that it is approaching the end of its life cycle. Any hints when updates are coming and what to expect? Thanks.
     
  2. hcuar macrumors 65816

    hcuar

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2004
    Location:
    Dallas
    #2
    If you need it / want it buy it now! I don't think we will see updates until the beginning of next year anyway. It seems that whenever people wait until the next system, they end up waiting and waiting. If you want it bad enough, just bite the bit and get it. ;)
     
  3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

    Le Big Mac

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2003
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #3
    BTW, what upgrades would we see anyway? A slightly faster G4 and a price drop seem like the only things that would happen, since we're not seeing a G5 powerbook, let alone iBook, this year. Anything else they might add? I doubt it--USB2 is already in and FW800 seems not to be on the consumer machines. And you can already get airport and bluetooth.
     
  4. hcuar macrumors 65816

    hcuar

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2004
    Location:
    Dallas
    #4
    Probably as usual... We'd see a little faster processor. Maybe an upgrade to the video card... That's about it... Oh, probably a bigger faster HD.
     
  5. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

    Dr. Dastardly

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2004
    Location:
    I live in a giant bucket!
    #5
    The iBook would not be a tremendous leap in hardware performance. I don't even think that it will be updated until the Powerbooks are updated and that won't be till at least MWSF imho. Even if the PB get a dual core G4 that the rumor mongers are throwing around the iBook will still get just a moderate speed boost. But what the hell do I know right? We could see upgrades next Tuesday. But even if we do I don't think the iBook will be rendered obsolete by the next revision.
     
  6. BroncoBear macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2004
    #6
    what is the date for MWSF imho??????
     
  7. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

    Dr. Dastardly

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2004
    Location:
    I live in a giant bucket!
    #7
    It's usally in the first week of the new year. So the beginning of January.

    And "imho" stands for
    In
    My
    Humble
    Opinion
     
  8. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 10, 2004
    Location:
    I Come From A Land Down Under
    #8
    This Place tells you what all of the confusing terms mean in the net. I have used this place many times, and it has been a great resource.

    Buy an iBook now. There is no reason why you shouldn't get one, they will be fine for at-least 2 more (after Tiger) Os updates.
     
  9. web_god61 macrumors regular

    web_god61

    Joined:
    May 14, 2004
    #9
    hehe, type in microsoft in that urban dictionary thing.

    Edited...forgot bout the actual post topic.

    Well I`m waiting for the new ibooks to come out just so that if they update the video card, I`ll get full support of CoreImage and CoreVideo in Tiger. But I also am in no rush to buy the Ibook. I guesse it depends on how long your willing to wait, and how badly you need it. Right now my Duron is serving me fine.
     
  10. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

    FuzzyBallz

    Joined:
    May 2, 2003
    Location:
    Home of Al-Qaida
    #10
    Faster HD... Muahahahha, funniest line all day. If Apple didn't put a 7200rpm in the PB, what makes you think they'll put one in the iBook?

    Get the iBook now and don't look back.
     
  11. t300 macrumors 6502a

    t300

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2004
    #11
    Perhaps you could buy a G3 iBook for now, and then sell it (probably for what you paid for it) when the new iBooks come out, and get one of those.
     
  12. dieselg4 macrumors regular

    dieselg4

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2003
    Location:
    Rockin' Pittsburgh!
    #12
    Buy an iBook now - they won't get bumped untill the Powerbook does (right now there's jsut simply no room for them to be bumped)

    Historcally speaking, the powerbooks should be due for a bum in a month or two, but technilogically speaking, no one knows what they'd put in it. The 7447A seems to be maxxed out, the 7448 is just a rumor as far as I can tell, and the e600 isn't ready, if it even truly exists (besides on paper)

    if they CAN bump the 7447A, it would only be a few mHz,
    is there IS a 7448, it might only go a few more mHz,
    if there IS an e600, we'll be waiting a good while longer than 2 months

    and any of that would happen before (although maybe only a day or two) before the iBooks get bumped.
     
  13. quagmire macrumors 603

    quagmire

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2004
    #13
    Buy now. The ibooks can't be bumped intill the pbooks do. All the processors(7448, e600) are vaporware. The only 2 processors that are not vaporware are the dual core G4 and of course the G5. The dual core G4 is still being developed by freescale and being shown in October. But, only as a prototype. Do not expect it intill WWDC if G5 pbooks aren't ready.
     
  14. MacSA macrumors 68000

    MacSA

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    UK
    #14
    Isn't this all really bad for Apple and consumers in general? Improvemnts to the WHOLE of Apple's laptop lineup (iBooks) is being held up because of chip problems in the more expensive Powerbook range?

    If faster processors cant be provided, they will have to improve them in other ways - ship them with more memory or higher capacity hard drives for instance, or reduce the price to make them even more appealing to somone deliberating on whether to buy now or wait.
     
  15. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #15
    I agree, it's best to purchase what you need when you have the need. If you wait, you could end up waiting for ever. If you buy now, then you will have had four months of enjoyment with your new iBook.

    It would seem that if the PowerBook gets the dual core G4 early 2005. Then maybe the iBook will also get dual core by later in the year.
     
  16. Cybbe macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2004
    #16
    What are apple's options for a low-end video-card, fitting for the ibook range, that will support Tiger's CoreImage? It would seem strange to release a new OS not all products fully support, isn't it likely they'll upgrade the ibook with a speedbump and perhaps a new video card in the next months?
     
  17. web_god61 macrumors regular

    web_god61

    Joined:
    May 14, 2004
    #18
    The 1Ghz is fine what I want is full copmpatability with Tiger.....

    So I'm gonna.....Wait.
     
  18. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2002
    #19
    A bottle of bushmills says its Nov. 3
     
  19. yoshi31 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2004
    Location:
    Auckland
    #20
    Thanks for all the advise

    This is just to let you know that I appreciated your comments. I think I'll just go for it. Thanks again!
     
  20. hcuar macrumors 65816

    hcuar

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2004
    Location:
    Dallas
    #21
    Woot! Good for you! Let us know how you like it! I love my new 12" PB!
     
  21. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

    OnceUGoMac

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2004
    #22
    That site is awesome! BTW, check out the links for Apple and Microsoft.
     

Share This Page