Buy an Older PMG3 or save up for new?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by slooksterPSV, Oct 10, 2004.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Hey I've gotten offers from people for PowerMac G3 B&W's. I was wondering if I should just take one of these or if I should save up and try to buy a completely brand new computer. I know the PMG5 is out of my range, but the IMG5 isn't. The eMac's would be good, but I don't know how to upgrade anything on it, but I want a G5. I want another laptop, so I might go with that, if they upgrade the processors before March. Right now I have $80 saved up. i can't believe I have some money still. Its because of this laptop. Thats what I work for, is $$$ for computers and that. Anyways you guys should choose for me:
    Computer - The bad
    PowerMac G5 - the only bad things it the price + I'd have to buy a monitor for it and I don't want to fork out the $$$ for that.
    eMac G4 - The g4 processor, don't know how to upgrade it, good price though
    iMac G5 - Don't know how to upgrade, good price for a G5, and very portable.
    iBook - Portability is always good, not sure how to upgrade, it uses a G4 processor though, the speeds aren't as fast at the PB.
    PB G4 - Portability is good, not sure how to upgrade, it uses a G4 processor, but it has fast processor speeds.
    Older G3 B&W - Can still upgrade somewhat, can't use garage band, will be obsolete here soon

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It really depends on what you want to do and how impatient you are.

As much as I might want to sell my B&W machine, I don't think I would sell it to a new user unless they just wanted to do some e-mail and web browsing and Graphic Design and maybe play some 2-5 year old games. It's not a bad machine and I still use it but it could be considered frustrating at times. I've been using it for 5 years now. Even though I've upgraded it from 400 to 800 MHz, it could only be considered superior to a G3 iMac or iBook.

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I think you may have answered your own question when you said the iMac G5 is in your price range....oh yeah!

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

don't buy a machine that's ~6 years old. Your first mac experience won't be a good one. Buy a new machine and enjoy it for many years. Buying a B&W will be very frustrating. Just my thought.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Buy a new one.

You will not regret it. At all. Not one bit...

(You will come to hate the G3 very quickly. As somebody who struggled with one at work before going to a G5, I can tell you... SCSI blues)

6. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

The iMac is a space saver, but when I first got on this forum I was questioning an iBook. I love the portability on that, but I guess I could use the iMac as being easily transferable. I think I'll save-up and decide when I have the money. Knowing me though, it'll be an iBook, but you never know I may want to get a G5 that badly. I've used the G3's and have found nothing wrong with them, I've used the G4's and they're considerably faster, I've used the G5 and they're perfect. We'll see when the time comes. What are the upgrade options and average cost? (As in do it myself RAM)