Buy and Sell. Is this a good investment?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macaddict23, Mar 8, 2007.

1. macaddict23 macrumors 6502

Jun 20, 2006
    MacVille, USA
    Seller is asking for $1000 for the following:

(1) Powermac G5 Single 1.6GHz 1GB/80GB/Superdrive

(1) 20" Apple Cinema (Acrylic)

There are no hardware or cosmetic issues. The screen is still bright with zero dead pixels.

I managed to bring the price down to $850. I'm hoping to sell the entire package for $1100. Go, or no go?
  2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Aug 11, 2005
    Behind the lens
    You want to buy this for $850 and turn right around and sell it for $100 more than the original seller's asking price?

I highly doubt if YOU can get it to $850 that the next buyer wouldnt do the same. Even if you wont budge, they wont buy.

Granted, it seems a good idea, but I wouldnt bet on it unless you already have someone else willing to pay $1100.

And m2c, that G5 is a piece of crap.
  3. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    The G5 listed is not that good.

If you want to make money, buy some shares and leave them there for a few years.
  4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    Good investments pretty much never include buying computers, no matter how little time you intend to own it.
  5. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Aug 11, 2005
    Behind the lens
    how good is an investment on something that depreciates faster than cars!?

though, if you held onto a nice mac for 50+ yrs, MAYBE youd make your money back.
  6. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    Don't! That's the lowest-spec G5, its really not worth that much. $850 isn't a bad price for the package, but you will have a hell of a time getting more for it. Youre looking at a really thin profit margin if you do resell it, especially if you have to ship the package, so it's just not worth it. Odds are you'll either lose some money or break even, but you'll waste a lot of time either way.