Buy Aperture Now, or Wait?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ekenny, Jul 18, 2006.

1. ekenny macrumors regular

ekenny

Hello,

I want to buy the student version of Aperture ($150) but wanted your opinions. If I buy it now, and they come out with 2.0, will I be able to upgrade inexpensively? Also, when is 2.0 expected to come out? Should I just wait for 2.0 to buy it?

For now, I just have a Canon A510 which does not support RAW format. In the future I was planning on getting a real Canon or Nikon DSLR.

Thanks

2. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

WAIT!
    In the meantime; you can check out the lightroom beta; I like aperture better, but the beta's free for now :D

3. ekenny thread starter macrumors regular

ekenny

So does that mean Apple is going to be coming out with 2.0 soon? Ive checked out Lightroom before and its ok. I should have mentioned I already have an iPhoto library with over 1600 pictures in it, all catagorized by keywords, so moving from app to app is not something I want to make a habit of.

4. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Academic software purchases are not eligible for upgrades.

Wait until you get a RAW-capable camera to get Aperture.

5. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Yes it is. I've been doing it for years.

See question #12 in this link:

http://www.academicsuperstore.com/faq.html

6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I asked that when I bought Studio 8 this year (January) since I'm hoping that around Christmas time Flash 8 will become UB and I can upgrade it then. The Manager/Supervisor said yes upgrades from them are allowed, however for the OP I think you would end up paying for it again. I could be wrong but I'm not sure if Apple does upgrade prices within the EDU setting :cool: I have as of late been thinking about getting Aperture from the EDU store but I'm not convinced just yet ;)

7. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

... Apple's academic licenses (for Pro Apps, at least) are not eligible for upgrades.

If you're having difficulty entering a serial number when activating your professional software product, keep these tips in mind: [...] Upgrade serial numbers cannot be used with Academic or Not for Resale numbers from a previous version.

[Source: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303184]​

You just linked to a store that doesn't sell the academic version of Aperture.

8. ekenny thread starter macrumors regular

ekenny

When you go to the store to buy it, does the student version come in a completely different box, or is it all the same thing?

9. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Everything is the same, except that the Academic version is marked as "Academic."

10. ekenny thread starter macrumors regular

ekenny

Hmm, well I just realized there is not an easy way (or any way at all) that I can find to change a photo's date. This is necessary as I have a large number of scanned images/slides. Hopefully they will put that into 2.0 and then I'll buy it.

11. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

aperture 2.0

highly doubtful that aperture 2.0 comes out in the next year...
    its only on version 1.1.2 and its not one of apple's high priority update apps