Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcorf

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
Campbell,Ohio
My nephew wants Apple TV for his BD this weekend. Should I get it now? Don't know anything about it and keep hearing about a possible update. Thanks.

BORIStheBLADE

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
I would say considering the price drop its worth buying.
If they come out with new hardware it won't be any time soon probably.

johnkountz

Nov 3, 2007
USA
nephew is spoiled :)

Wow, you are really spoiling your nephew.

You could buy him an Apple gift card, with the guidance that Apple is likely to release a big update on the ATV sometime soon. If that just doesn't work, look towards a refurb ATV which ships with same warranty as new and a 17% price discount!

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
My nephew wants Apple TV for his BD this weekend. Should I get it now? Don't know anything about it and keep hearing about a possible update. Thanks.

It does depend on what he would use it for. It does what it was designed to do very well, very neat and simple to operate.

I thought about what a future model might bring, read a ton of speculative posts on the subject, and came to the conclusion that I would buy now, while the price is right.

It sounds like your nephew knows what he wants, so I say go for it. The prices are low now.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I highly recommend waiting until the end of october, or as someone said, get him the giftcard and tell him that it might finally see an update then. Between the remote rumor, the analyst rumors, iTunes LP / Extra, and the fact that it has been three years since the hardware has been announced, I would say we actually may see something this time around.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I would go ahead and buy. I don’t expect an update to the Apple TV until at least after the first of the year. It sounds to me like they’re waiting on PA Semi to have a set-top box chip. It may be a while.

If Apple was going to update it this year, they would have already did so at this recent event. They consider it an iPod device.

Even if it does get updated, the old model will get the new software anyway.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
what makes you so sure?

iPhone v1 can't MMS...

The Apple TV has received multiple software updates (8) since it was released in March of 2007. There's no reason to expect that to stop happening once the next model or 3.0 software is released.

acosmichippo

macrumors regular
May 7, 2008
Sure there is. Eventually old hardware gets phased out. Not necessarily completely, but apple won't dedicate the time to code new features into old models - especially when (I'm assuming) there won't be much of a hardware change from this appletv to the next one. They have to give current users a reason to upgrade.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Sure there is. Eventually old hardware gets phased out. Not necessarily completely, but apple won't dedicate the time to code new features into old models - especially when (I'm assuming) there won't be much of a hardware change from this appletv to the next one. They have to give current users a reason to upgrade.

The Apple TV is essentially a catalyst to iTunes content. It's not an iPhone or Mac, it's an appliance device. People don't upgrade their cable boxes, dvd players or media extenders to the latest models.

If Apple is smart (and so far they've proven they are), they'll continue to the maintain the current Apple TV with software updates for the foreseeable future. You are right, though. At some point down the line, they'll quit maintaining it. But I doubt that'll be anytime soon.

The only way Apple makes any type of substantial profit on this device is through video rentals and iTunes content. Really, it's the first attempt in a long while at trying to create an income stream that isn't centered around selling hardware.

acosmichippo

macrumors regular
May 7, 2008
The only way Apple makes any type of substantial profit on this device is through video rentals and iTunes content. Really, it's the first attempt in a long while at trying to create an income stream that isn't centered around selling hardware.

now that i agree with. And that's why i don't think there will be a significant hardware update for appleTV any time soon. what is there to add that will enhance the iTunes experience?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.