Buy AppleCare for 2011 MBA or sell and get 2012 MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dmk1974, Nov 10, 2012.

?

Buy AppleCare?

  1. 2011 with AppleCare til Nov 2014 for $249

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2012 with AppleCare til Nov 2013 for $170

    4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. macrumors 68000

    dmk1974

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2008
    #1
    My wife's 13" 2011 MBA base laptop will be 1 year old in 12 days. I think it's a good idea to always have a warranty on these skinny MacBook Airs and am looking at 2 options.

    A.) buy the additional AppleCare for $249 and keep the 2011 til November 2014.
    B.) buy a refurbed/open box 2012 base 13" MBA and sell the 2011 (I figure my net cost after transactions will be about $150-$170).

    She's not a power user by any means, but she really likes the 13" MBA form so its really the only 2 choices that I see. Option B gives her a newer and faster computer and 1 new year of warranty. Option A keeps what she has, but 2 years of warranty.

    Which choice do you think is best? Thanks!
     
  2. macrumors 65816

    kylera

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2010
    Location:
    Seoul
    #2
    If you can definitely secure a net transaction of $150, then go for a 2012 model. At the very least, you're getting a new battery.
     
  3. macrumors 68000

    53x12

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2009
    #3
    Either option works as far as still providing you with a computer that offers you a computer that meets your (wife's) needs. If anything, at this point I would wait for the MBA update next year if you can wait. The Haswell will give you a good bang for the buck in terms of CPU/GPU performance and battery power. I guess you can do that through either option above or maybe your wife isn't interested in that?
     
  4. thread starter macrumors 68000

    dmk1974

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2008
    #4
    Thanks for the feedback. Well, I put up her 2011 on Craigslist for $850.00. Hopefully it'll get some hits and sell. I bought an open box 2012 at Best Buy for $930 pre-tax and have 60 days to return it if I change my mind. My wife probably won't notice the difference ;)
     

Share This Page