buy.com mocks and copies ITMS ads.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by medea, Jul 22, 2003.

1. macrumors 68030

medea

http://www.buymusic.com/

In the first one Tommy Lee bashes a guitar that is almost identical to the one apple uses on it's site, the others have people singing along to songs just like the itms ones.

didn't see this posted anywhere, if I'm wrong I'm sorry.

2. thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

a rabbi eh?

edit>there was supposed to be a pic in this post, but somehow it has disappeared. hmmm.....

3. macrumors 68040

tazo

seems ok. I may buy like 3 songs...just to try it out.

4. macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Don't buy anything from them !!!!!!

5. macrumors 68040

tazo

i wish i had seen the ^ post earlier.

I got screwed by the buymusic.com service.

charges to my card. no music. no way of contacting them.

get on irc for the full story...

6. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

7. macrumors 6502a

Contest the charge with your CC Company.

8. macrumors 6502a

jbomber

what a bunch of wankers. rush to market with a ****** product. hopefully apple will drop a lawsuit on them right before they totally fade into obscurity...

wankers.

9. macrumors member

If a parody isn't funny...does that constitute copyright infringement? They have "training videos" which seem like a copy of Steve Job's intro speech on iTMS. The only difference is, it's a girl (sex appeal) and talks down to the audience (customer is an idiot). This site sucks, boycott it!

10. macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    not only are those commercials rip offs of the apple commercials, but they suck big time! plus i love how they say that songs are from $.79 and on the training video they only show songs for $.99. what a bunch of wankers. plus, just the fact that different songs have different DRM attached so that some songs you will be able to record to cd and other you can't... just a bunch of crap.

11. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I'm utterly appaled, its such a huge ripoff!!! Sue them Apple!

12. macrumors member

Suggesting to boycott BuyMusic.com is futile and waste of precious time.

You cannot kill something that's dead on arrival.

13. macrumors 68000

RichP

well said...look at this..they have to take cheap shots at apple, have a crap site, offering crap service..

And what,those people think that huge hard drive thing they are holding is even in the same league as an ipod?!? im curious to see how this plays out.

14. macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

When I watched the commercials and looked at the site, it made me want to throw up. It is such a blatant rip off it should be illegal. All I can say is that buymusic must really be jelous and know that ITMS kicks ass and works, becuase they tried to copy it in every aspect. All I know is that the first training video takes 1 1/2 minutes to explain the system requiremets, with ITMS it takes 1 second "a mac". And the second video emphasizes that they need a DRM compliant portable device like 20 times! (exageration) how many people are going to buy a song and not be able to transfer to their cprappy non ipods? alot.

Well I can't wait to see them go down, because in my opinion, it is easier to use Kazaa than it is to use buymusic. ITMS is the best solution, it works so well and its real easy, but I don't have to comvice many people on this board (if any) of that.

Peas.

15. acj
    macrumors 6502

Oppinions reverse so hastily

Apple mocked intel commercials, was that worth sueing?. The iTMS commercials were not that great. They too are worth mocking. Previous threads agreed.

16. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Oppinions reverse so hastily

OK, where do you see the mockery?

All I see is blatant imitation.

17. acj
    macrumors 6502

Imitation is effective

Regardless of the obvious poor quality of their service, I think their commercials are more effective than Apples. Imitation or mockery, it's a great technique. The flaming intel dancers was great too.

18. macrumors 603

solvs

Remember the Gateway Profile ads aimed at the iMac? Same concept, doomed to failure. Most of these types of commercials don't work well.

Apple mocked the stupid Intel commercials, and slammed Windows with a bunch of "true" stories. BuyMusic blantantly ripped off Apple in several instances, then the CEO makes these comments to everyone who will listen. If BuyMusic is anything like Buy.com, I (and others with the same bad shopping experiances) will not be using it.

They are desperate, and are sinking everything they have in this. Doomed to failure.

edit: BTW, when I saw the ads, I too thought they were for Apple. I hope others don't have the same impression. Go to BuyMusic, think they are Apple related, get screwed, blame Apple.

I hope Apple slams them right back.

19. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Imitation is effective

There's a distinct difference between imitate/copy and mock/parody that I'm not sure that you're getting.

In the Intel ads, Apple poked fun at Intel's commercials by burning the dancing chip fab guys, or strapping a P3 on a snail. Similarly, Gateway poked fun at the FP iMac commercial by having their all-in-one flip around.

The Buymusic.com commercials do not poke fun, but rather copy the exact format - the only difference is that they use multiple people singing a song, where Apple used only one. Is this a mockery of Apple's service being limited to only Macs users (for now)? Maybe, but it's not clear.

20. acj
    macrumors 6502

I get the difference

Rower_CPU: My intention with my previous post was to say, "Oh, you are right, it IS more like imitation, however either imitation or mockery can be effective.

I agree that this is a bad service and may fail! I'm just saying, from an advertising perspective, they did a great job as far as efectiveness, obviously not originality.

21. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

OK, so how do you see them being "more effective"?

22. acj
    macrumors 6502

When an ad appears to be educating the masses about a seemingly comparable product previously unavailable to the masses, for cheaper, it is effective.

My oppinion.

23. macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

!!!!!!!!!!!

i am really mad, I saw the add thinking it was an appel ad until I saw the text, this is really low, very stupid of buymusic.com I hope apple sues the pants off them BWHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :mad:

24. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I think its quite sad that they can't even come up with their own ads. The front page of the story even looks similar to iTMS. :rolleyes:

25. macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Damn right:rolleyes: :D :cool: