Buy.com's new download Music service is dubbed 'iMusic' (...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 16, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

I cant beleive they actually called it iMusic, that is a stick in the eye of iTMS if i ever saw one, i hope iTMS for windows comes out soon and shows em whos boss :D

3. macrumors 68030

medea

That is so lame, I mean ok your competing with Apple, but why bite the name. If you want to impress people try being a little original.

4. macrumors member

i think this should be dubbed 'the Microsoft Syndrome' - balatantly ripping off Apple's ideas

5. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

6. macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I think they should too. But can they really claim the rights to the lower case prefix letter I? :confused:

7. macrumors regular

wow that's amazing.. i could never have thought of a less original name myself! how do they do it??

8. macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

iDunno:rolleyes:

9. macrumors 6502a

paulypants

OMG!!
    I just pissed myself!
    there is gotta be a way to sue
    them because it's the same type of service as itunes and when ITMS
    is made for windoze they will be
    directly competing

please let them get sued
    pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaassee

10. macrumors G5

nagromme

They must want to make SURE every article about them in the press also mentions that Apple did it first and better!

The article answers one question, though: Windows Media is what they're using for copy protection.

11. pEZ
    macrumors 6502

And that's the ultimate downfall of this service, at least for people who know about formats. Nobody likes a closed format. I know, iTunes uses AAC which is a closed format as well, but it's by far more fluid than WMA - try to splice two WMA clips together and then try the same with AAC - you'll hate WMA too.

And as for the name, all I have to say is :eek:

12. macrumors 603

solvs

That's terrible. I don't think Apple can sue them for using the "i", but they could try. Use an injuction against them to delay it's release. It's kind-of Micro$oftian, but it might work. Then again, after people use the service and find it lacking, especially when most of them can just use P2Ps instead, it'll probably just fail on it's own.

In my experiances, WMA sux. AAC is much nicer, and there is actually a lot more you can do with it. WinAmp already supports some AAC files.

Apple may not have been first, but they seem to be the best. Like the iPod, the GUI, the personal computer, etc.

13. macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, I think the RIAA will prefer the WMA format to the AAC protected format. The game has just begun.

14. macrumors regular

Honest that is the lamest thing next to Gateway's ads against the iMac.

iThinkAppleHasSomethingwithITMS
    iThinkWeShouldDoTheSame
    iThinkWeShouldCallItiMusic
    iThinkWeWillMakeLotsOfMoney
    iThinkIWillBuyAnIsland
    iThinkIWillFillTheIslandWithLotsOfHotBabes
    iBeer
    iPinaColadas
    iDrunk :D

I'm all for anything that will help drive the cost of music down. .99 a song rocks compared to buying the entire album.

15. macrumors regular

uncool

I hope that this service falls flat on their faces. I am curious to see who exactly they have signed up.

16. macrumors G4

AAC isn't a closed format, its the audio component to the MPEG-4 standard which is recognized by many many more companies than just Apple and more than MS, WMA just gets more attention because Microsoft is well....pretty much everywhere...

17. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

iMusic?

How creative!?

:rolleyes: :p

Anyway, I think its going to be interesting to see if this will be as sucessful as iTMS was in it first weeks.

18. macrumors regular

pretentious

Oh please... 'iMusic' is a direct take off of 'iTunes', it's even more so than 'Lindows' and 'Windows' (at least iTunes wasn't a generic word at any point).
    I hope Buy.com is up to date on their Legal fees because AppleLegal is going to have a grand old party with them ::envisioning scenes and words that I would never post under the V-chip::