Buy from MacMall?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dale_Nx26, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Dale_Nx26 macrumors member

Right now, Macmall has the MB for $994 (after rebate). I was wondeirng if this is a good place to buy it from. Compared to Amazon, it has the MB in-stock. I never bought anything from Macmall before and after reading some reviews about the retailer, I'm quite hesistant. So should I go for it?

2. simmonstwin macrumors member

Remeber if anything is wrong with your macbook , you wont beable to return it , they require you to send it into apple for repair. While amazon in most cases (90%) will ship you a new one and have you ship them the old one with prepiad shipping. Just something to think about.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

MacMall is reputable in my view, my first iMac i got through them.:)

4. Dale_Nx26 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I'm still hesistant, and the thought of buying a refurb from Apple intrigues me now (after seeing that thread below).

5. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I would go with a refurb from the Apple Refurb site

6. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

I have been very happy with my past purchases from MacMall. They are definitely a reputable business.

7. fanbrain macrumors 6502

fanbrain

We've bought various systems and equipment from MacMall for many many years with nary a complaint. Very good company.

8. Dale_Nx26 thread starter macrumors member

rebates

Thanks for the reply! Also, would this place be trustworthy on rebates?

9. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I bought my 2.5 MHz DP G5 and 30" ACD from MacMall, as well as tons of lesser stuff from them for years. No complaints. They've been very responsive if I've had an issue in the past. Example: they installed the RAM upgrade in my G5 and in doing so, slightly scratched the clear, internal plastic door. I called and complained and they gave me a $100 gift certificate to apologize.

10. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

Absolutely- I have gotten checks from them usually within a few weeks of purchase when sending in the rebate forms.

11. Benjamin Black macrumors member

Uh-oh!

I placed an order for a MacBook with Mac Mall today to take advantage of the rebate that Amazon doesn't seem to be offering anymore on the 1.83Ghz model. The website stated that the notebook was in-stock, "usually ships same day."

I saw the deal advertised on macprices.com, so I didn't even think about checking into their feedback. But after reading this post, I came across the following:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1554.html

It seems they have a extremely poor track record, if this website is of any regard.

If I had to do it over again, I would spend the extra $100 rather than take my chances. I'll post when (if) my MacBook arrives and let you know how everything turns out.

12. Dale_Nx26 thread starter macrumors member

Yup, i've been reading sites like that too for reviews on MacMall. This is why I came here to ask for opinions. However, I too ordered it. So it is a big risk in two ways: not good customer service and the MB might get an update.

13. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

My parents ordered my iPod 5G for my birthday from MacMall, arrived yesterday. I was able to open it up and fire it up to make sure it worked and everything was great! So, MacMall is reputable in my opinion. I'd buy again. I get their magazine every month and they have some great deals. They are a direct Apple reseller, so yeah, if there is a problem, why wouldn't you send the machine to Apple? Anyway, the only downside of my purchase, was after I opened it up, I had to put it back because it's for my birthday. Hahaha, but that has nothing to do with you. :p ;)

14. jkeithh macrumors regular

I have also ordered a lot of things from them in the past and have always been very happy with them.

15. Acehigh macrumors 6502

Edit: You said MacMall... Not MacConnection...

I brought a black Macbook from MacConnection... Order it Friday got it Tuesday (monday was a holiday). Mail in the rebate form on may 31th, and got an email Monday saying they got it on June 7, and are processing the claim.

I also order the Printer and case (got that rebate email yesterday about the case rebate.). The case is to big for Macbook. Its a nice case but too big. It will be great for traveling on a plane, but not your daily commute on a Train or subway. Also it better for the MacBook Pro. But it is free , so it might be worth it.

Right now Apple.com has better printers to choose from, and if you can get the Edu discount and Ipod. I think it better to go that way now.

If you can can send the extra money now and wait for the rebates go with Apple Edu discount, and ipod deal. Also get the printer. Even if you dont need it. Can sell the Printer & Ipod for atleast $200 plus the Edu discount

But if you going to buy from MacConnection they are great. I think much better then Amazon, since they are a computer reseller. Much Faster shipping, and can call and speak to somebody on the phone.

16. Benjamin Black macrumors member

Follow-up...

Okay, due to my escalating concerns brought on my each new complaint I read about Mac Mall, I broke-down and called them regarding a shipping estimate for an order placed yesterday for a MacBook. Their website lists the item as "in-stock, with same day shipping". However the lady I spoke with says that my order is still in the verification stage (even though my cc has already been charged), and she couldn't give me a shipping estimate. In fact she kept trying to give me another number to call for any further questions - which seems to imply that this could be an ordeal that I would need to phone them about (again). I don't know about you, but I rarely ever phone a company regarding online sales. That's the beauty of shopping online (that and no sales tax!). Anyway, these people are definitely not the "#1 Apple Direct Reseller".

Again, if I had to do this over again, I might very well just pay the extra $100 and order it through a more reputable merchant - probably Amazon.

17. Dale_Nx26 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the info benjamin. I just got back from the phone and was able to cancel the order. It took a while, having to go through 3 people. Their speech was unclear (probably due to their system). A bumpy ride. I really dislike retailers that require a phone call to cancel. Done it 2-3x before but one was smooth because the customer rep. seemed experienced and simple. So the reviews i read left me a bad feeling toward MacMall (srry, but the negatives far outweighs the positives) and with WWDC coming up, i figured I can wait. And also what company requires a call to confirm order? Once I saw their email demanding that I call so it could ship, I got impatient because all along i thought it shipped already.

18. Benjamin Black macrumors member

I'm envious. I really want to cancel my order too, but I have a feeling it would take forever for them to release the funds back to my cc so I can purchase elsewhere. As for the phone clarity...I too had trouble understanding my rep (I actually thought the lady was, er, mentally challenged). Oh, and what's this about the call to confirm order bit? I haven't received an email requesting me to call to confirm shipment. Guess I have that to look forward to. Neat.

AHHHHH! I HATE making stupid, uneducated decisions!

19. Acehigh macrumors 6502

Order from MacConnection. I had no problems... But if you can get the Edu discount & free Ipod order from Apple direct.

20. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

I will never order from MacMall again. I ordered an ibook just over a year ago from there. It looked like it had been used. The palmrests had wear on them and the OS was already setup. I called MacMall and I told the guy the story and he said sir i'm sorry but we don't take returns on apple for ANY circumstances. Please contact them regarding warranty issues. I was like it's not a warranty issue you sold me a used machine and I want a replacement. He again said sir we cannot accept returns or even issue replacements it is our policy with apple. Please contact them regarding warranty issues. So I called back the next day and talked to a Manager, who was a total jerk too btw. He said there was absolutely nothing he could do and didn't even apologize about the situation. I told him if he didn't ship me a replacement or let me return it that I was going to contact my credit card company and reverse the charges. He immediately told me not to do that and he would ship out a replacement the next day. Didn't even apologize btw.

I will never order from them again. Seriously how can you sell high dollar computers and NOT have a return policy or even be able to ship out replacements?

This statement right here makes one think otherwise

"You will need to contact the manufacturer directly regarding return or replacement of these brands under their respective guarantees and/or warranties."

21. Benjamin Black macrumors member

I just cancelled my MacBook order with MacMall. It actually went pretty smoothly (I think). They couldn't give me a confirmation number though, so we'll see. They were supposed to send an email, but I'm still waiting on that.

Edit: My order status on their website now reads: "cancelled by customer"

SWEET - The 1.83 MacBooks are back in-stock at Amazon, with only a short 2-3 day wait for shipping, and the $100 rebate!

22. Dale_Nx26 thread starter macrumors member

Nice! However, I don't think I will be buying it. If it was earlier in the week I might have. You see, I was planning on buying one before next week to bring during a trip, but now it's kind of late. I'll wait a MB update.

23. Benjamin Black macrumors member

I just ordered the 1.83 MacBook from Amazon. I selected one-day shipping (too tired of waiting) and it gave me a delivery date of June 26. That's next Monday, so if you're trip is after that, I say give them a go and save some dough.

Either way good luck, and count your blessings you cancelled with MacMall.

24. laidbackliam macrumors 6502

you complained about that? you're the kind of person that complains if your pizza is 20 seconds late, right?

25. Dale_Nx26 thread starter macrumors member

Amazon now has Macbook as available to ship "within 24 hours". I'm wondering whether to buy or not. If it doesn't meet the 2 pm deadline on mon., then it'd be pointless for me.