buy G5 cpu

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by msett, Sep 22, 2005.

1. msett macrumors member

Sep 12, 2005
    Yes, I know you probably cant. But is there anywhere I could get a hole of a G5 Processor. I want to build one myself is possible. Also is there anywhere I should look for Power Mac's G5 used? They are all so exspensive on ebay for even used ones. I would love one if I could ever afford it.:(

2. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    apples refurb website

and no you can't find any unless you strike a deal with IBM to buy 100,000 of them
  3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Nope, stuck with Apple ...

And if you look at the website, the G5 is insanely complex to use -- which killed the white box market and it's use in embedded systems.

Basically it's Apple or nothing -- in fact some of the companies that signed contracts to build machines using the G5 exited the business entirely :p .

Edit: with the G3 and G4, you didn't need to use any parts from Apple to build a PPC system -- but you cannot get away from it on the G5.
  4. RobHague macrumors 6502

Jul 8, 2005
    I was sure i read an article posted on this forum, showing someone who did just that. Bought parts off ebay to build a G5 (mainboard, case etc)... or maybe it was to upgrade an original G5 :confused:. I remember something about it not working at the correct speed so he had to mess with it..

Anyhow. MacMini... best bet if you are after something simular to a PowerMac (as in no head and no inbuilt screen) or you could look in the refurbished sites - you can actually get Single CPU 1.8 for a quite reasonable price (a lot less than say a dual g5 2ghz).
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    And one of the dudes from Momentum gave his a huge long technical direction on how to meld the mismatched parts and get the machine running right.

Look at BBoettjer's posts

Even Apple parts from eBay may not be a piece of cake.

Edit: Same original poster user name on here.