Buy G5 now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by trampaslake, Apr 30, 2004.

  1. trampaslake macrumors newbie

    Apr 30, 2004
    My wife and I want to purchase a G5 with display very soon. The only model we can afford is the 1.6 Ghz. I can wait till June to purchase a Rev B if they will be available then, but I don't want to wait until fall for them to ship, if they are introduced in June. If they are introduced in June, what are the chances of the lower models shipping right away?
    Does anybody have any advice?

  2. Crikey macrumors 6502

    Jan 14, 2004
    Spencer's Butte, Oregon
    Tough one. It is entirely possible that they will introduce but not be shipping in June, but then the G5 Xserve is already shipping if not in full quantity, so maybe the Rev B towers will be ready in June.

    I personally would wait, because I have this feeling that the updates won't be trivial (like the low-end model will be at least a single 2.0GHz or dual 1.8, substantial upgrade from the single 1.6). But then I have a dual 800 G4 that meets my needs perfectly as it is, at least until I get too happy with Software Instruments in GarageBand. If I were as ready to buy as you sound, I'd be feeling the dilemma.

    Hey, WWDC is only six weeks away, right?

  3. jamdr macrumors 6502a


    Jul 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I think this is kind of a given. It's been almost a year since the current generation of G5s were introduced. They will be updated soon, but whether or not they ship by June does not really affect your decision to wait. Let's say they do ship in June--you could have a significantly faster machine than the 1.6Ghz. But if they don't? Well, you could still get the current machine, and probably for a lot less money. Just hang on, they are almost upon us :)
  4. trampaslake thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 30, 2004
    June 28-July 1 I think.

    If they introduce the rev B's, does that mean that you automatically won't be able to buy the older models anymore from the apple store?
  5. Angelus macrumors 6502

    Apr 19, 2002
    New Zealand
    Personally, i would wait. The G5's are nearly a year old soon and i wouldn't pay a premium for that especially when the probability of updates is very likely. As you said you can wait a bit longer to see what comes out. If it turns out that there is a shipping delay the Rev.A models will still be available from some retailers and they won't cost as much.
  6. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a


    Jul 18, 2002
    buffalo ny
    even if he couldnt get a 1.6 once the Rev. B's come out... the price point he would be paying for the 1.6 would get him a hell of a lot more computer anyways...
  7. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    Actually it is June 28th - July 2nd.

    I like the majority of others am waiting for the Rev. B G5. Not sure what your budget is like, but if you want a G5 by the end of June of sure there is another option.

    If you purchase a Power Mac G5 and a 23" Cinema Display by June 26th then you will qualify for a $500 rebate. They also have deals on memory.
  8. alexf macrumors 6502a


    Apr 2, 2004
    Planet Earth
    If you need a computer now and can find a discounted 1.6 on sale, I would consider going ahead and buying it now, although if you can wait to June / July I think it will definately be worth it. In any case, I wouldn't pay full price it now, as the prices haven't been updated in half a year.

    Do keep in mind that it's possible that the price may very well go up for the base model when the new ones are released (i.e. dual 1.8 GHz for $1999), but as another user commented, you will probably be able to find the 1.6 at significantly discounted prices after the new models are released.

    I was personally in this dilemma about 3 weeks ago - I had been waiting for the Rev. Bs since January - and finally gave up and got a 1.6 on sale for $1499. The machine is very fast and meets my needs as a Web / graphic designer; I can only imagine how fast the upper end machines are. Unless you are doing a lot of video editing / rendering, the current base model G5 should be enough for you.

    And by the way, it's also quieter and consumes less power than the dual processor machines.

    In any case, if you do get the 1.6, be sure to get a lot of RAM for it; the 256 MB that it ships with is a joke.

    Hope this helps. :)
  9. alexf macrumors 6502a


    Apr 2, 2004
    Planet Earth
    One more thing...

    I forgot to mention: if you do decide to buy now, also look around for deals on the discontinued single 1.8; I have seen some good prices online for these. Not only is the processor slightly faster than the 1.6, but the architecture is faster and more expandible.
  10. trampaslake thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 30, 2004
    I found a single 1.8 for $1599 from a reseller, and was a couple clicks away from buying it. I guess I should go ahead and buy it. I'm afraid the base price will rise when the newer models are introduced.

    Does anybody know if I buy the 1.8 from a reseller and an apple monitor, if applecare will cover the monitor too?
  11. 365 macrumors member

    Aug 10, 2002

    It does but only if it was purchased at the sametime as the computer.
  12. Jovian9 macrumors 68000


    Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    Keep looking in the special deals section on the AppleStore website. Every few days there are refurbished G5's for pretty cheap. I'm sure that once they introduce the new G5's, the current lineup will also be sold in the special deals section...but new not refurbs (which is what they are doing with the PowerBooks and iBooks right now.
  13. dbauer macrumors member

    Dec 24, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Jovian9 is right, keep looking in the Special Deals section of the Apple store. The G5's might not be there everyday but when they are, these are the prices:

    1.6 = 1399
    1.8 = 1599
    1.8 dual = 1999
    2.0 dual = 2399

    These are all refurbs. I bought a refurb eMac from there and it was perfect, I couldn't tell it was ever used before and it comes with the same warranty as new. Always check first thing in the morning because as they sell out, they disappear from the listing.
  14. wms121 macrumors regular

    Mar 1, 2003
    ...seriously consider a USED MAC

    of some type, depending on the work you are doing...NOT on hardware,software or Internet issues.


    Because lots of stuff could get done on a used Performa 5400 or something with a PC card....depends on your total outlay over time...not whether you need 64 bit computing. You CAN upgrade those old boxes to UNIX...Linux ppcor something similar.

    Remember..MOST of the software you may need....especially FINANCIAL TRADING or something that might justify the purchase because the box was making money for in WinXP or similar format. YES there are some
    Mac programs for trading...and some of them very proficient...but your support network will be PC starting out. My first APPLE experience was with Performa 5215 and it crashed every other day. Purchased in 1995 as the Internet got worse not better because even when I got the correct upgrades....some of for Netscape..still were buggy.

    But it was a good "surf box".

    Have you guys tried the new G5's yet...or used PC's or even UNIX machines?

    You can't appreciate programming code on a G5 unless you have had similar experiences with a PC or A Sun box. The OSX system is supposed to be a programmer's dream. It CAN be..if you get a good setup and learn things.

    Find your local MUG (Mac User Group) and see if they will let you steal an old classic from them or something...and try your learning curve. If you can code in the Apple Store and run inline up for a server.

    If this is for your 3 year old....see if the MUG people will take $35 bucks for the classic (the keyboards are worth that much).

    G5's need lots of good resources and resource are trying to get a $3500 2004 system to perform like a $40,000 UNIX Workstation/Workserver of 2-3 years ago. That takes time and talent. Some
    Apple Stores might have gurus that can do that.

    Cheap used stuff is fun anyway. Just because it's "brand new"...don't mean it's a steal.

    Unless you are a student...and teacher says so.

  15. Johnkb macrumors newbie

    Apr 30, 2004
    I don't qualify purchasing a refurbished model because I live in Canada. I'm really tired of waiting. Would it be stupid to just bite the bullet and buy a dual 2ghz now? It's $4099.00 Canadian, but they're willing to give me the educational discount, so I can get it for $3699.99. I am a full time student for a few more weeks.
  16. wms121 macrumors regular

    Mar 1, 2003
    trampas & John

    ..there are lots of used macs on the Internet.

    I just ran into someone who had a hospital clearance item..old 8500/120 ppc
    w/keyboard & monitor "$50"(monitor questionable). Keep looking. One of the
    benefits is that IF this is YOUR money and not your can purchase much more capability. The educational discount just keeps the school computer store in business. Your mac will lose significant value in five-seven years even if you do all the upgrades. The current UNIX based systems will probably evolve as well. The original MPW type software packages had lots of UNIX derived code. Learn that system and save yourself some time if you decide on a computer career. Linux-ppc and BSD-ppc are available for almost every type of mac now. If you have NEVER had a computer before..get a box..not a laptop. both. Save your parents some money...and you can stop worrying about doing those upgrades every 6 months or so. Older macs work best with that last upgrade they got before being discontinued.

    Are there any Kinko's or similar office shops in you neighborhood? You can rent out some time (or work on a friend's machine). You will need to max out RAM, disk space, media capability...etc. Get one that can be upgraded.

    IF you HAVE to purchase sure and have 2-3 times the purchase price(cash in hand..not credit card) available within 6 months for software, upgrades, and "other stuff" (ISP charges etc..). Yes you can set up a business in your dorm and run it, but dont' eat up your lunch money doing it. Your second job WILL BE on that machine.

    90 days...on used. IF not...then either don't buy..or learn to "fix 'em yourself".


Share This Page