Buy IBOOK???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by shampoo, Jun 7, 2005.

  1. shampoo macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2005
    #1
    Hi,
    I'm waiting a whole time now to buy an Ibook, but the updates just won't come (as you all know :) ).

    Should I buy it, or still wait?
     
  2. asqy macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 3, 2005
    Location:
    Australia
  3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

    shadowmoses

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2005
    #3
    Wait until tuesday finishes and if there are still no updates then...buy one on wednesday..

    ShadOW
    :p
     
  4. Willy S macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 8, 2005
    #4
    I wouldn´t buy an ibook. Apple should have at least upgraded the graphics card so it would fully support Tiger. The same goes for the Mini.
     
  5. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2004
    #5
    Please search the forums. Many threads on this topic.

    andy.
     
  6. Badradio macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2004
    Location:
    Manchester
    #6
    Just my gut feeling on this - not based on any facts - but I'd say the iBook is the product line most likely to receive an update in the coming weeks. People don't buy them for the latest/greatest performance - they buy them because they want a reliable mobile computer with great battery life. As they won't run a lot of top-end software already, buyers are least likely to be worrying about software compatibility long-term, so these look like like the lowest-risk rollout for Apple in the "continuing PPC pipeline". I'd wait.
     
  7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #7
    Regardless of yesterday's announcements I still think the iBooks will see an update soon. They haven't been updated for what, 11 months now? I would hold off another week or so, personally, but of course it's your call. See what today brings, maybe next Tuesday as well, and then make your decision.

    I'm actually waiting for updates myself. My girlfriend wants a new laptop and really wants an iBook, so I've been telling her to hold off until these updates come. After all, why pay top dollar in the computer industry for technology that's almost a year old!
     
  8. lasuther macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2004
    Location:
    Grand Haven, Michigan
    #8
    I'm in the same boat. So I hope you buy a iBook now. Because then Apple will update the iBook line two days later. Take one for the team.

    lasuther
     
  9. Tilmitt macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2005
    #9
    I'm waiting on the iBook too. Anyone know what time on tuesdays the updates usually come?
     
  10. mRedly macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2005
    #10
    Yeah, I have also been waiting for the darned iBooks to update. Hopefully they will today because I can't wait much longer. I'm still on my family's winXP, I need to switch and pronto. :)
     
  11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #11
    As has been discussed before though, the one problem with updating the iBooks is that by updating them, Apple will essentially be making them very close in spec to the existing PowerBooks, which might hurt PB sales as the machines will almost be identical. So, is Apple waiting to update the iBooks until the next PowerBook revision is ready to go? Let's hope not, as I don't see that happening for quite a while...
     
  12. Tilmitt macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2005
    #12
    I know what you mean, but before the Powerbooks were last updated the low end PB had the same CPU as the high end iBook. So it has been like that before and people still bought the PB's cause of all the extra nice stuff they have and the little extra power. But let's hope they are all updated....and today....i need that iBook soon....
     
  13. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

    shadowmoses

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2005
    #13
    The problem is Apple are loosing sales every week they delay releasing the new iBook because anyone with a knowledge of iBook's product life cycle would know that apple are sqeezing the last drops of juice from this generation of iBook.

    Therefore people are waiting until a new one comes out just so they can rest assured that a new one will not come out the next week.

    I am pretty sure if apple release a iBook with simular procesors to powerbooks they will not loose sales in the powerbook department as powerbooks appeal to a different market,

    ShadoW :rolleyes:
     
  14. shampoo thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2005
    #14
    I wonder what could be the reason to wait SO long?
    It seems to be the first time in 4 years. :confused:
     
  15. hiorgos macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2005
    #15
    so the ibook

    so..

    after a long waiting i will buy a computer soon.

    what can i do?
    buy an ibook, and pay the price of a computer one year old?
    and think that in other year the technology will be obsolete?

    or get a pc, in spite of windows, that uses now the same processor that apple will use next year??

    ?????????
     
  16. Toeside macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2005
    Location:
    St. Louis, MO
    #16
    You wait. That's what I'm doing. That's what others are doing.

    It's tough, sure, but I'm not buying an 8 month old laptop.

    I'll repeat Tilmitt's question: What time do the updates get added to the Apple store on Tuesdays? I sure hope today's the day.
     
  17. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #17
    That's true, it did happen once before. Let's hope it happens again... Apple really needs to release a nice iBook upgrade...
     
  18. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

    shadowmoses

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2005
    #18
    Apparently the 9.00AM east coast time for releases on tuesday has already passed so not this tuesday.....There's always next week.

    ShadoW :eek:
     
  19. lasuther macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2004
    Location:
    Grand Haven, Michigan
    #19
    Save up more money and get a 15" PowerBook base model. I might have to do that soon.

    lasuther
     
  20. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

    Jschultz

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2005
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #20
    Sort of what I did.

    Got myself a nice 12" powerbook instead. All that a new iBook would have been, and better. Fits what I need perfectly too.

    With education discount, and $100 rebate, my 12" powerbook pretty much came to a total of $1299. I consider that a good price for a great piece.
     
  21. Toeside macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2005
    Location:
    St. Louis, MO
    #21

    That's not good news. So 9am was the time it'd happen, huh?

    C'mon Apple...update the iBooks. We are waiting!
     
  22. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

    rosalindavenue

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2003
    Location:
    Virginia, USA
    #22
    Yeah but a forum search is going to turn up pre-switch to intel threads-- I'm all in favor of a new thread today, as I thought I'd be ordering a new ibook as soon as it was updated-- now I wonder-- I dont NEED it. :confused:
     
  23. prezpat2020 macrumors newbie

    prezpat2020

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2005
    #23
    iBook G3

    Wait. They must update them. I'm still running the G3, it works excellent. Unless you absolutley need it today, hold off till the update. It is coming.
     
  24. shampoo thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2005
    #24
    Could it be that they will wait till september in Paris?
     
  25. bluepaint macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2005
    #25
    Right, I've had enough, if they aren't done by Thursday I'm getting me an ibook anyway providing store has ones with 80 gig hard disk. Then if they announce an updated one in the next two weeks I might consider sending it back.....but I probably won't.
     

Share This Page