Buy iLife now or wait for Tiger?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Hlau, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Hlau macrumors member

Help me out guys. There are some feeatures in iLife'05 that I want but since Tiger is coming out soon, is it really worth paying extra for iLife? When exactly are we expecting Tiger? March? Or sometimecloser to June/July? I just think I might feel stupid getting iLife now when it would come free with Tiger.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

iLife does not come with Tiger, so what difference does it make? :confused:

3. Hlau thread starter macrumors member

Does it not?! I'd always thought that when you get a new OS, you always get that newest version of the iLife apps built-in like when you get a new computer. If that's the case, I'm going to get the iLife'05 suite right now.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

When you get a new Mac you get the OS & iLife. When you buy an OS you get just that, the OS, and nothing else.

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Damn... that sucks. So if I want Tiger and iLife, I have to pay $200? Can I use the iLife '04 that came w/ my PB and install it on tiger?

6. dr bognus macrumors newbie

you should be able to use any form of ilife on virtually any operating system, because the apps are similar and there are only minimum systems not maximums

7. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

That is absolutely true. One of the eMacs at my school's paper (running Jaguar) uses iTunes 2 in Classic mode (the iTunes 4 library file got corrupted and no one wants to body to bother fixing it), and it works just fine ("fine" :p).

8. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

9. cubixcrayfish macrumors member

cubixcrayfish

Hi I am new to the mac world

Can someone tell me what Tiger is? Is it the new OS version, what would the major diffs be ten

Cubix

10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...Tiger is Mac OS X 10.4...a new revision to the operating system, coming sometime in the next 5 months - probably closer to the end of that timeframe. You see some of the new stuff at Apple's Tiger page and also you can read some of the threads in the MacRumor's Tiger forum ....oh yeah!

11. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah, $200 it is. Fortunetly we wont see OS upgrades every year, more like every 18 months - 2 years. But I have a strong feeling that iLife will be appearing each year to tempt us to this revenue stream for Apple owners...but at $10 AUD a month its a fair cop for decent upgrades and new apps (App number 6 next year right...?)

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

It may have been my thread. I was thinking out loud about waiting till Tiger came out to buy the Mac mini. Tiger and iLife works out to be about $208 (if they don't raise the price of Tiger).

I was informed about licensing, but it was suggested that I keep 10.3 on my lesser machine and Tiger on my primary (hope this keeps the anti-piracy people here happy).

13. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Flip a Coin.

Head = Buy iLife '05 NOW.

Tails = Buy iLife '05 when Tiger is for sale. ;) :)