Buy Mac for online business, get tax break?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Chacala_Nayarit, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Oct 6, 2005
    Lakewood, Washington
    My plan is to move to get a business license and resell Dr. Bott and other stuff online. If I buy a PowerMac, software and camera could I claim the expenses on my taxes in the USA? And maybe a car for making trips to the post office? Thank you for the help. :)
  2. applegirl macrumors regular

Nov 9, 2005
    In Cancun. Be back never.
    I referred this one to an expert (my mommy's a tax accountant lol) and she said that you can deduct the cost of the computer and necessary accountrements pertaining thereto (like my legalese?) against your income and whatever you have left is what you'll have to pay income tax on.

Obviously you want to double-check with your personal accountant to make lawsuits here please. ;)

Edit: More info about the car thing: Every car you buy has a rate of depreciation set in a number of years. Say you buy a car for $10,000 that has a depreciation rate of ten years, then you can deduct $1,000 per year from your income and the remainder will be taxed (see above). You WON'T be able to deduct $10,000 from your income in a single year.
  3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    You might want to look at something like this if you're going to be doing product shots.