Buy Mac mini as multimedia entertainment centre??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by stevep, Feb 27, 2005.

1. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

I have an iBook, winXP box, broadband connection and Linksys wireless router. I also have an outdated TV set, Sony DVD player (not a recorder) and a VHS video.

If I was to buy some new gear for TV, DVD, Hi-Fi entertainment in my living room, is it worth going the Mac mini route, something like:
    Mac mini
    Elgato TV tuner
    External DVD recorder
    Griffin iMic to link to existing Hi-Fi setup
    Airport express base station with AirTunes
    ... and maybe something else to link the mini to the TV??

Has anyone else done this?

2. chan0429 macrumors newbie

First thing I'd like to suggest is that you should invest in a new TV.

3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Yeah dude, save for a HDTV (the prices have really been going down lately) and then see if Apple releases the rumored HD device.

4. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    yeah get a tv first :) that way you can enjoy all the dvds and tv shows!!!

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Been thinking of doing the same.

I don't know about the recommendations about buying an HDTV though. My cable system charges more for HDTV at this point. And I am so far from the towers for the local stations, my neighbors have been less than satisfied with antenna HDTV.

7. chrismcdowell25 macrumors member

TV

I would get the HDTV first. Or save up and then buy it all at once. The new gaming consoles are all going to be HDTV and HD DVD's are coming out. It is all going to get cheaper and the mac mini although being really small is not that great of a media center yet. I would want optical ports if I were to get a home media center and I dunno about having all the extra adapters. I say just wait.

8. starcrossed macrumors regular

Yeah definitly now get your self a new TV. If you want to show off your Mac Mini set-up, which you will, you'll definitly want a great TV to showcase the great quality delivered by the Mac Mini. Also just to let you know, there is a project called CenterStage going underway right now, in which a group is aiming to a sort-of media center application for your Mac and specifically for use with your Mac Mini. Right now there still in the very early stages in development, but hopefully soon you'll see them with a great application to easily access movies, music, photos, and more, easily on your TV. You can check out progress on the development of Centerstage at http://centerstageproject.com/ .

9. stevep thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevep

Thanks guys - yep I think you're right, I do need a decent TV. I guess I should have said that I live in the UK, where the HDTV future is (I think) a little uncertain atm. That said, it will come eventually, and probably be led by the introduction of HD video cameras and DVD players/recorders - the TV companies will then have to play 'catch-up'.

Starcrossed - thanks for that link, really useful and interesting.

Chrismcdowell25 -
    -yeah, good point - maybe Griffin or someone similar need to think about an external optical input/output device for the mini.

Really useful comments from everyone, thanks.

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Not to mention what the tax man over there wants for HDTV over "regular" TV. Reading about the "TV men", I just hope they spend as much time and money catching true criminals as they do unlicensed TVs.