Buy Mac now or wait for Leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MCS, Nov 3, 2006.

  1. MCS macrumors newbie

    MCS

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #1
    Hi,

    I'm really itching to buy a new Mac but I'm not sure if I should buy it now or wait until the beginning of next year when Leopard is released. Any suggestions? I'm planning on getting an 17'' 2 GHz iMac.
     
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

    WildCowboy

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    #2
    How do you feel about your current machine? Only you can decide whether it's better to jump into a new machine now at the cost of a $129 upgrade in the spring or if you can hold out entirely until spring.

    I know I'd be buying now if I needed a machine...there's no way I could wait that long. :cool: :D
     
  3. SMM macrumors 65816

    SMM

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2006
    Location:
    Tiger Mountain - WA State
    #3
    If you want it now, or need it now, then buy it now. You almost always get better technology in the future, but then you do not have it now, do you? The price to upgrade Leopard (if history holds true) will be relatively inexpensive. It is not like you would be upgrading to Vista.
     
  4. MCS thread starter macrumors newbie

    MCS

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #4
    My current machine is fine (this will be my first Mac ever). I was just wondering if Leopard justifies the 3 or 4 months of waiting. I'll mainly be listening to music and doing development work on the new Mac and perhaps watch the odd movie or so.
     
  5. SkyBell macrumors 604

    SkyBell

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Location:
    Texas, unfortunately.
    #5
    Don't you guys ever get tired of answering the same question over and over again? :)

    Anyway, If you're current machine is fine, wait. I use stuff until it breaks, not just when I get tired of it, or want something new.
     
  6. nsbio macrumors 6502a

    nsbio

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    Location:
    NC
    #6
    Early revisions of Leopard will have a lot of bugs and will almost certainly break a lot of programs (as it happened with the first revisions of all Apple cats), and it will take Apple a few months to fix most of them, hopefully. My vote is buy the computer now and then upgrade when it is obvious that Leopard has no huge flaws.
     
  7. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

    Mac'Mo

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    Location:
    NYC
    #7
    wait.....wait.....whats leopard? is leopard print back in style?
     
  8. Umbongo macrumors 601

    Umbongo

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #8
    Get the mac now, assuming like most people OS X will give you a much better computing experience why would you want to wait for that? Of course money may be an issue and you may not be bothered about waiting to save the cost of the upgrade.
     
  9. jessep28 macrumors 6502

    jessep28

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2006
    Location:
    Omaha, NE
    #9
    Really, the OS upgrades for Mac aren't that drastic like the upgrades in the Windows world. There are still people running Panther (10.3) so I can imagine that not all the Mac users will flock to Leopard.

    But in the end its your call. If your computing needs and willingness to wait till spring to save $130 is worth it, then wait. But if you need a computer or if the cost down the road won't be that big of an issue then get the Mac now.
     

Share This Page