Buy MacBook Air now or wait until June for refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mackcat, May 8, 2013.

  1. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2011
    #1
    Hi,

    I just got a Chromebook the other day, and while I like it, it doesn't do enough for me. So, I'm going to return it. I need a laptop for this next month, but I don't want to buy the current one if the new one will be dramatically different or leave it in the dust specs-wise. If I wait for the new one, I'll be stuck with a giant clunky old 17" PC for the next month.

    What do you think is the lesser of the two evils???

    Thank you!
    Ben
     
  2. macrumors 68000

    B...

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2013
    #2
    Probably waiting to get the new one, since the new Air will have Haswell (better battery life), maybe bigger flash storage, retina (exceedingly unlikely but possible). Using an outdated computer for one month and then having a brand new computer for one year is better than having a new computer for one month then having an good but older computer for years to come.
     
  3. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2013
    Location:
    RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
  4. macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 1, 2009
    #4
    what do you think Mackcat from the 2 months in the future would say?
     
  5. macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2012
    #5
    U sound like u been around the block a couple of times to know there is no such thing as dramatic leave in the dust.

    However, unless you are desperate the marching order for May 2013 is, WAIT.
     
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2011
    #6
    Ok, thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to wait on this one. Also, do you think there will be a release delay, or will it be available as soon as it's announced at WWDC?

    Thanks!
    Ben
     
  7. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2010
    #7
    Me too. I'm hoping for better battery life. That's definitely worth waiting for.
     
  8. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2012
    #8
    I doubt it'll be available as soon as it's announced. I'd guess maybe a July release.

    As to OP's original question, totally would wait. You'll only have to wait 2-3 months max for what could be significant upgrades.
     
  9. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2011
    #9
    Interesting. Just wondering, what makes you think that? I know last year it was available that day. What about years before, does anyone know?
     
  10. macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2004
    #10
    Usually computers are available the day they are announced. However, this isn't a hard, fast rule. Last year, the new iMac was announced but it was not available for several weeks and it was months before it was not in short supply.

    As far as timing goes, the most common advice here on MacRumors is to buy it now if you need it now. Otherwise, wait.

    It sounds like you can afford to wait a little while, so you'll probably be best served by waiting.
     
  11. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2011
  12. macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2013
    #12
    If they make an agreement with intel to have the chip much earlier than 4th June when intel announce haswell than it is possible on Apple event 10 june to have the macbook lineup fresh with haswell and available "today". If they don't make some agreement with intel then available July
     
  13. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2009
    Location:
    Idaho
  14. macrumors 6502

    errol

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2008
  15. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
  16. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2011
    Location:
    Denmark
    #16
    ill be waiting. I'm considering getting a new macbook. just not 100% if it should be air or pro.

    depends :)

    But i see no point in NOT waiting
     
  17. macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2009
    #17
    My understanding is haswell is a bit flakey yet.
     
  18. macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2013
    #18
    A new macbook line up with 10h batteries usage, just only for that and it will be fantastic
     
  19. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2010
    #19
    The new one will not be dramatically different, if you need one now buy it now.
     
  20. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2011
    #20
    It might have 10 hours of battery life? That would be amazing and well worth waiting for!
     
  21. macrumors 68000

    B...

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2013
    #21
    Right, but don't expect significant performance increases AND a 43% increase in battery life. You will invariably be disappointed.
     
  22. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2011
    #22
    I personally care far more about battery life. Performance would be good though.
     
  23. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2011
    Location:
    Singapore
    #23
    Waiting makes a lot of sense at this moment the 2012 Macbook Air is almost a year old, should not be long to the 2013 Air launch.
     
  24. macrumors 6502a

    marvz

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2012
    Location:
    Berlin
    #24
    Right, probably 4 weeks.
     
  25. macrumors 6502

    ka-spot

    Joined:
    May 23, 2012
    #25
    i'm waiting for mine retina/air 13",

    but you can buy now two and sell them in june ;)
     

Share This Page