Buy Macbook Pro in Europe or in the US

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adandl, Nov 28, 2006.

1. adandl macrumors newbie

All,

I'm heavily considering buying the new amazing Macbook Pro. I spend about 3 hours in an Apple Store playing around with a 15" version - awesome.

Now my question:
    Since I'm fom Austria I need to take my equipment back to there and do some modifications.
    I want to change the keyboard to the german layout and need to buy a new power adaptor.
    Taking also in consideration that in Austria I would have 6 months of limited guarantee I'm not sure anymore whether I should buy it right now in the US or wait until I get home.
    The price difference is 2,500 USD (excl VAT) vs. 2,500 EUR (incl. VAT)

Does anybody have experiences with changing the keyboard or any other comments?

Appreciate your help!

Albert

2. weckart macrumors 68040

1. You need to add 20% VAT plus import duty on returning to Austria on the $2500. Otherwise you can try smuggling it in with all the risks that entails. With the added security these days at airports, particulary around laptops it is up to you.
    2. The EU gives all consumers 2 years of warranty with these products, even if Apple only advertise one year in some countries - don't be fobbed off with less.

Why Applecare is a ripoff

3. Factor in the cost of the mods you are thinking of and how much are you actually saving?

3. Duffman macrumors member

Duffman

Well, the keyboard layout is easy enough to change, that can be done with the "International" Preferences. You can add the German Keyboard layout, or in fact, you can even reinstall OS X when you first get it and set the whole computer to German. The Keyboard layout will change, but the keys will remain the same--therefore the " @, etc., etc. keys will remain as they appear on the keyboard, in the US layout. I have Macs in both Japanese and English, but since the keyboards that I have for them are from Japan, the symbols remain where they are on the keyboard. (OS X itself is in English, but the keyboard layout is Japanese). It works fine for me, and I think it would for you once you get used to a US keyboard layout.

As far as having to buy gear to use the MBP in Austria, you won't need anything except for a plug adaptor to fit the plug shape in Austria. If you buy the Apple Travel Kit, you can actually get the plug shaped for Austria,(and the majority of the world) and it will snap right into the Power supply for the computer. Or, you can do this on the cheap by purchasing a travel plug for a few dollars (but doesnt look as cool). I cant say for certain about the Mac Book Pro, but the Powerbook G4 power supply is regulated for international use, meaning that it will convert the power automatically from 120V (US) to 220-240V(?) for Europe.

About the price, generally things in the US (especially electronics) appear to be cheaper than in Europe. I say why not!:D

4. NJuul macrumors 6502

Buy it in Austria.
    First post by weckart pretty much explains it all.

5. andrecunhab macrumors newbie

Well, I am Brazilian, bought a MacBook in the Netherlands and brought it back to Brazil. It happens that the keyboard layout is different. I did know that when I bought it but still, since I am not much of a "blind" typer, I would love to change the keyboard layout, physicaly speaking. I did find a website that carefully shows how to remove the keys. The thing is that some keys REALLY change places. In fact, I would have to do some reprograming. So the question is: DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF THE EXISTENCE OF A SOFTWARE WHICH I COULD USE TO TELL THE COMPUTER, FOR INSTANCE, THAT WHEN I PRESS THE SECOND KEY ON THE 5TH ROW IS SHOULD WRITE A BACK SLASH? :confused:

There are quite a few other keys to reorganize actually...

6. net26 macrumors member

the austrian online store has recently been updated with refurbs... you used to not be able to get them in .at, but now you can and you can save some serious € :)

click on the "sparen sie" price tag on the bottom right of the apple austrian store (at store.apple.com) and have a look yourself!

EDIT: oh yeah it actually says "second hand" there as well, but i for one do not agree that apple refurbs are the same as second hand stuff.

EDIT2: just noticed the date of the OP :D oh well maybe someone finds this useful anyway
    n