Buy MacBook Pro now or wait for other releases?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mc Pavel, Jan 11, 2006.

  1. Mc Pavel macrumors member

    Dec 24, 2005
    Hello, guys!

    I wanted to order a powerbook G4 some weeks ago but luckily i didnt do that. Now i definitely wanna get a MacBook Pro. However id like to hear you advices, should i buy it now or prolly wait a bit and see if a more powerful laptop will be released :confused: ?


  2. risc macrumors 68030


    Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Apple will of course release a more powerfull MacBook Pro but you might be waiting a while. If you need a machine now the only reason I can see to not buy the MacBook Pro is the lack of native applications. Other than Apple apps, and some shareware everything you run will need to run through Rosetta, personally I am waiting for reviews of these new machines to turn up before I throw down my CC. I guess it also depends on what you want to do with the machine, imho at the moment it is way too early to know 1) how good Rosetta works 2) what it works with 3) how long we need to wait for Universal binaries from 3rd party developers 4) and most importantly do we get these binaries for free or will we be forced to pay for upgrades, or will we have to buy brand new versions.

    Having said all that if you don't order now I can see you having to wait months and months to get one because of the demand, these things are going to sell like crazy.
  3. wheezy macrumors 65816


    Apr 7, 2005
    Alpine, UT
    People on here like to say wait a bit for a revision or 2, but honestly my opinion of the intel macs is that they probably won't be too bug prone, since every version of OS X has had an Intel version, so OS X should be just as smooth on intel as it was PowerPC.

    Also, a speed bump could be further out as they'll be working hard to get the other Macs on the Intel wagon, but, 4-5x's faster than a G4 is plenty fast.

    Do it man, do it. They're pretty loaded from the box, and slick.
  4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus


    Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I've you've waited already then just buy one, or you'll be waiting forever.
  5. Mc Pavel thread starter macrumors member

    Dec 24, 2005
    Thank you guys for the quick replies

    Im intending to use this computer for video editing in Final Cut Pro. Ill also use motion pro and a good graphic card of the 1,83 Ghz`s model seems to me like an essential advantage...
  6. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020


    Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    In general it is wise to wait for revision 2's in case there are little kinks, but i would wait if it wouldn't kill you on the simple basis of value; right now the MBs are rather expensive with some downgraded features like dual layer -> single layer superdrives, and unknown battery life. That's just me...If you feel what you are getting is worth the extra money, go for it, you probably won't be disapointed.
  7. Dark macrumors regular

    Aug 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Well if you plan on using Final Cut Pro, the universal app. isnt going to be available untill March. However thats not far off from the MacBook's ship date.
  8. MacTruck macrumors 65816


    Jan 27, 2005
    One Endless Loop
    MacBook should be called BetaBook. I am waiting for this to be field tested by first adopters. I want to know why there is no DL burning support for one. I also want to know how buggy this osx for intel version is. Finally, Until Photoshop and office is native on this thing, I won't even consider buying it.
  9. snowboarder2711 macrumors newbie

    Jan 11, 2006
    Fort Collins, CO
    Waiting til feb to release macbook pro

    Does anyone think that apple is not shipping til feb so that they can sell out of them, and then have everyone find out that they have quite a few bugs? Won't have people listening to reviews since there aren't any and will still be able to sell out.

Share This Page