buy macbook this Christmas and get OS X 10.5??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Oats, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Oats macrumors regular

Jan 8, 2003
    New York
    This is a question... I know Leopard, OS X 10.5, is being released in the spring, but I was hoping to buy a new computer this christmas season... it seems that in the past Apple will let you upgrade OS for free if they release a new version within a certain time period from when you purchase a machine. For example, if I buy a macbook with 10.4, and then 10.5 is released 2 weeks later, can I get a free upgrade? Should I wait until 10.5 to buy?
  2. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    The time period last time when Tiger was released was 2 weeks. I think it was the same thing for Panther too. Basically they announce a 2 week countdown till release and any computers purchased within that period were covered. You just had to pay for postage.

After it's released, you'll either get Leopard pre-installed or as a drop-in DVD in the box.

It certainly won't be so far off as Christmas - two weeks is most likely.
  3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Jun 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    You typically have to buy the machine within the time between the announcement of the release date and the release date. Considering that we don't know when this is, just buy the machine and don't worry about OS X right now. It could be released in January, it could be later. We don't know.
  4. Exist2Inspire macrumors member

Oct 9, 2006
    Good question! I'm in the same position as you.
  5. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    And it's been answered.
  6. roland.g macrumors 603

Apr 11, 2005
    One mile up and soaring
    Even if it is announced at MWSF in January, the release date will be after that. Apple WILL NOT put themselves in a position of having to honor OS upgrades to all the XMAS present Macs they sold during the holidays. So they will release Leopard in the 'Spring', most likely annouce the release date at MWSF and avoid any of the problems with people wanting a FREE OS upgrade. Sorry.
  7. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    If you're eligible for the student discount, Tiger was only $69. I'm assuming (hoping) Leopard will cost the same, which isn't bad at all. Normally, it's $129, but you can find a $30 rebate deal and get it for $100. I would say it's not worth waiting to buy your MacBook over.