Buy MBA now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Liquinn, Mar 3, 2013.

  1. macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #1
    Hi, should I buy a MBA now or should I wait for Haswell/Broadwell? The buyers guide says it's at the end of the cycle almost.

    Is the 11" or the 13" the better buy?

    Thanks.
     
  2. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2013
    #2
    Hmmmm, its a tough call.

    I think the update will happen sometime in July.

    Minor CPU bump and a GPU bump of 2X speed is likely.

    Rumors of structure changes, I think they will decrease the bezel and add Hdmi out.

    For the Air, I think the 11 inch is better due to portability, I mean that is why a person would be interested in the air anyway, however the 13 inch has 2 hours more battery life.
     
  3. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2013
    #3
    Also get ready for people to give you a hard time about this thread. :p
     
  4. macrumors 68000

    KylePowers

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2011
    #4
    The 13in is still very portable (just shy of 3lbs). 2 hours battery life is enormous. It also has an SD card slot. Additionally, the screen real estate makes a world of difference if you're trying to do anything productive (multiple windows side-by-side, etc).

    Source: I traded my 11in for a 13in and found it much more advantageous for my productivity.

    EDIT: At OP, what will you be using your MBA for? What computer do you have now?

    EDIT EDIT: Jk, I see your sig. iPad 4, 2011 Mini, 13in 2012 MBP, and 15in 2012 MBP? Yeah, I think you can wait.
     
  5. thread starter macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #5
    I currently have a 13" and a 15" MBP - a Mac Mini and a Powermac G5.

    I'll be buying an 11" Air, 15" rMBP and a few Thunderbolt Displays soon - or should I wait?

    The machines will be used for Photoshop and word processing.

    Thanks.
     
  6. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2010
    #6
    Wait, there may be a change in body and processors.
     
  7. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2010
    #7
    I just ordered one today; a 13" with 8 gb ram from B&H. I'm sure I'm going to be sad when the new ones release, BUT I have a whole lot of work I need it for between now and summer so o well. Incidentally I be using it for much Photoshop work, so I could certainly benefit from Haswell, but I've watched reviews and the current model meets my expectations.

    I would say it depends on how badly you need it. I have no other laptop, or else I may have tried sticking it out until summer.
     
  8. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2013
    #8
    Hmmm, you should be good for the next few OS X releases. Good call on the 8 GB
     
  9. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2010
    #9
    I agree. Like many people that surf this site though, I'm obsessed with the latest and greatest. Perhaps this will be an opportunity to build some character ;)
     
  10. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2013
    #10
    I don't know. Sometimes I like rocking vintage hardware. Go to starbucks with an Ibook clamshell. That would be sweet
     
  11. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2012
    #11
    Wait. Upcoming processor upgrade is significant. If you have no pressing need to upgrade, then wait.
     
  12. macrumors 6502a

    Micky Do

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2012
    Location:
    Thailand, for now.
    #12
    Need it now? Then buy now. If not; wait

    Up to you really, but from my point of view......

    I don't need or want a portable computer right now, so I am not going to buy now. For now my Mac Mini serves my needs just fine. That could change later this year; if so that's when I'll buy.

    If I do buy it will be the 13".

    If I was twenty years younger, with sharper eyesight the cuteness and the slightly better portability of the !!" would probably get the nod. In my late fifties now, the slightly bigger screen of the 13" is enough of a difference to be a deal breaker.
     
  13. macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2009
    #13
    Needed to order one for an employee last week. Went with a refurb unit. Saved some $ and if the upgrade is good, I'll get one of those, if not, we're ok.
     
  14. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2010
    #14
    I've run PS (CS5 and CS6) in 8GB, it runs but runs better with more.
     
  15. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2010
    #15
    No I definitely agree. My main machine at work is a 12-core Mac Pro with 32gb. I just need the Air to work on minor graphics which will eventually be integrated into existing projects within Premiere and After Effects CS6.

    I contemplated getting a 13" cMBP for the ability to run Raid SSD and 16gb ram, but that damn resolution just isn't enough. And obviously the weight difference matters to me or I wouldn't have gotten the Air.
     
  16. macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 1, 2009
    #16
    you pretty much have to buy old tech if you're going to be spending your money on starbucks :rolleyes::D

    ----------

    i'm a little bit younger than you but i agree with you on the eye issue. i am a scientist and i've gotten very used to my 13" MBP but i'm about to go back to lawschool so i think i am going to pick up the 13" MBA. Despite the size difference - bigger screen for nominal weight increase, i think the deal-closer for me was the battery power.

    i think i can get through a day on the 13". if you end up carrying the adapter with you everywhere you go then the half decrease on the 11 doesn't seem worth it to me.
     
  17. macrumors regular

    rneglia

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2006
    #17
    Vintage

    I watched a French movie called "Toi et Moi" over the weekend. The movie is from 2006 but the lead character is rocking this kit.

    [​IMG]
     

Share This Page