Buy MBP now or wait for leopard/'Santa Rosa'?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by theprizefight, Oct 29, 2006.

1. theprizefight macrumors member

I've been a PC user and I'm at college now with a desktop. I'm looking to switch over to Mac, and to a laptop, obviously for portability issues.

I'm wondering though, I've heard lots of rumors about a new chip coming out called Santa Rosa. Could you guys shed some light on exactly when we should expect a new MBP with santa rosa/leopard to be released? Is it worth waiting for the santa rosa or should I just get the MBP C2D now? What are the advantages of santa rosa going to be? I definitely can wait, but obviously i'd like to get a mac sooner than later.

thanks in advance.

2. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

And so it begins... haha. If you need a laptop now just buy one. Something new will always be around the corner.

3. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Just buy one now. they're great machines. since your at college it'd be perfect for your needs. then after about 2 years, you can get 'the next big thing' then

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It can't get any simpler than this.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree with Chrispy, if you need/want a new laptop now, then go with the current MacBook Pro. :)

Otherwise, you could just end up postponing your computer purchase indefinitely by always waiting for the next big thing.

6. Surf and Turf macrumors regular

Santa Rosa is the platform that the c2d chip will be working in. It is a bit premature to ask about Santa Rosa imho, seeing as the merom chip being released not too long ago. Most of the people were just waiting on the c2d to be released and when they were it seems as if they bought them. The waiting game is what is is about, if you can do it, and if not don't.

7. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

a mod should close this thread, now.

:rolleyes:

so bored of this

8. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

9. Silentwave macrumors 68000

if you feel like waiting over half a year for a laptop, wait for Santa Rosa.

If you want a KILLER computer now, the current MBP is waiting :)

10. l4t13 macrumors regular

11. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

The new MBP's just came out. Some people who ordered the second they came out haven't gotten theirs. You will not gain much from waiting at all. Just get it now. Specially since the wait will be long.

12. cecildk9999 macrumors regular

cecildk9999

If it's something that you will use now, then you should definitely buy it now. It's not worth playing the waiting game for the next 'big thing,' since any update in 6 months won't be substantially better, and the new MBPs give some nice options for the money. If I hadn't tried to play the waiting game, I would have the exact same computer that I do now, only I would have also gotten the free iPod. It's your decision, of course, but if you buy now, you'll be getting a nice machine that will last you several years, no problem. :)

13. vanzskater272 macrumors regular

Just get it now. This is a very good time to buy.

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

15. theprizefight thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys, you just made my decision to buy much easier. now the big question: glossy or matte? just kidding.

16. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Glad that you were able to make up your mind theprizefight, enjoy your MacBook Pro (glossy or matte :p ). :)