Buy MBP now or wait till April?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ncook06, Mar 13, 2006.

  1. ncook06 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2006
    Location:
    Tampa, FL
    #1
    So I'm planning on buying the MBP in my sig by this Saturday. I don't really NEED it yet, but I want it badly. Very badly in fact. My friend mentioned to me, however, that after Apple releases new notebooks, they'll probably lower the MBP price. Is this traditional in the Mac world?

    I want the exact computer in my sig unless there is a Rev B release soon (which I have read nothing about). But can I get it at a lower price if I wait 3 weeks?
     
  2. musicalmcs8706 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2006
    #2
    The only time I have heard of Apple lowering their prices was when they were discontinuing the Powerbook and iMac G5. They don't lower their prices.
     
  3. stillwater macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2004
    Location:
    Rowley, MA
    #3
    I agree that its highly unlikely that we'll see a price drop on the MBP any time soon. Demand is still very high. As far as I know, some Apple stores still have waiting lists for MBPs.
     
  4. m-dogg macrumors 65816

    m-dogg

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2004
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #4
    They rarely ever lower prices, so don't count on it happening with what most people consider the greatest improvement in performance for a Mac pro laptop ever. And it sounds like they are selling very well, so there really is no reason whatsoever for Apple to lower the price.

    As for a Revision B, I really don't think we'll see any Rev. B's of Intel models until the entire product line has transitioned to Intel chips. The new Intel PowerMacs will probably come in August, and they will probably be the last to make the transition. So I personally don't think we'll see any Rev. B's until late this year.

    I say buy now, and enjoy!
     
  5. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2005
    Location:
    CA
    #5
    I heard there will be significant processor price drops at the end of May. So it's probably unlikely they'll drop it in April because of the iBook but they may have to drop it near the end of May simply because every other computer maker using the same chip will drop their prices. I'll give it a 15% chance of happening. I think they're more likely to hold off for a month or two to add a few features and present it as a rev B. Or switching to Intel might change their strategy. They might simply upgrade the processors at that point and keep the same price points; the price points are always more important than the features from Apple's standpoint. The "drop price" will be available in the refurbished store.

    Oh, the prices drops were to be around 30% for the higher end dual cores. So a $300 processor might go down to a little above $200, which is pretty big in my opinion. The article is somewhere here but I'm too lazy to search for it.
     
  6. kretzy macrumors 604

    kretzy

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2004
    Location:
    Canberra, Australia
    #6
    This is probably true, but I'll be very surprised if this is actually noticed by the consumer. I doubt Apple will change it's prices because the processor is cheaper.
     
  7. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2005
    Location:
    CA
    #7
    Yeah, so ncook, if you're sure you need/want those specs in a Mac laptop, there's no reason to wait to buy it. The next revision won't be for a while. I'm waiting for the ibook myself. It might be worthy of replacing my 1.5ghz mini.
     
  8. Koodauw macrumors 68040

    Koodauw

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2003
    Location:
    Madison
    #8
    I would buy now. I doubt you'll see any price drops or updates in the near future. Besides if you ordered now, you prob won't get it until around april 1st anyways!
     
  9. JonnyMac macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2006
    #9
    If you're looking for a smaller laptop (13") or larger laptop (17") then it's best for you to wait until April. If 15" is the sweetspot for you, then I would get the MBP now. Even if they do release a 13" and 17" I highly doubt the price for the MBP would drop. It'll be just like when the 17" was originally introduced- it would go for ~$3000, 15" for where it is now, and 12/13" for $1299-1499ish. With that said, I got my MBP 2.0 yesterday and absolutely love it! :)
     
  10. ncook06 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2006
    Location:
    Tampa, FL
    #10
    Thanks everyone. I'll be ordering in the next few days - with confidence.
     
  11. bazzakite macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2005
    #11
    thoughts on Rev.B

    When does everyone think RevB will be out and what will it bring to the MBP?

    Sounds like after august is logical. Updated for Merom? How much will this add?

    I can buy now but don't need to, so holding out another 6 months is possible if I think it would be worthwhile.
     
  12. Peyton macrumors 68000

    Peyton

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2006
    #12
    Ummm, I'll say WAIT. Macworld after macworld, wwdc after wwdc, people will complain that what they just bought is outdated, and they knew the event was coming. It wouldn't hurt anything to wait and find out what comes out and then have all your options before you...just MO :rolleyes:
     

Share This Page